VMware Cloud Community
gcastel_gd-ns
Contributor
Contributor

I3 eval - No compatible network devices msg w/ AMD Athlon 64 X2 Abit motherboard

VMware friends,

I am trying to load VMWare Infrastructure 3 eval on my dual core AMD processor system - Athlon 64 X2 4400+ on motherboard ABIT NF-M2S - and I continue to get the failure message about not being able to find a compatible network devices. Does anyone know where I can get the proper drivers for this built-in Realtek NIC card or know what the underlying problem might be here?

I have seen that there could be issues with Realtek NIC driver support using VMWare products. Does anyone know if I can get Infrastructure 3 to work w/ this setup or do I need to install a separate ethernet NIC, non-Realtek.

Thanks all,

Greg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You'll need another NIC for this. ESX ships with a limited number of drivers (see page 22 - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi35_io_guide.pdf). You can't add drivers to ESX unless they come from VMware. In some cases the drivers that VMware uses are based on Linux drivers, but they do have to be modified to be used with ESX, so you can't just add any driver you'd like. If you have an Intel Pro 100/1000 around that would be a good card to try.

0 Kudos