VMware Cloud Community
gigaboy
Contributor
Contributor

How to install patch with out VC - newbie

I've downloaded patch esxe350-2007-12401-o-bg.zip, and have burned a CD-Rom. Now, how do I get my 35i single host install patched? I've read the docs.

1) I guess there's no way to do this from the VM ware client interface? I've put into maintenance mode...

2) Looking at the docs about vihostupdate utility. How do I get to this from the CLI? I'm at the host machine, and done Alt + F1. Logged in successfully.

Entered the string: "vihostupdate -server 3i-host-ip -username xxxx -password yyyy -i -b e:\esxe350-2007-12-0401-o-bg.zip" (no quotes).

Response: Command not found.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
derekn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't you just copy the file with winscp or something of that nature, then launch the patch file?

-go easy
0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

Open option is to use esxupdate in ESX Service Console. You unzip the patch, copy it to ESX host, then use esxupdate. The esxupdate is fully documented in the VMware docs section. We create TGZ bundles of updates and use a small script to call esxupdate for each patch. You can also use a esxupdate repository and pull the updates over the wire. We use our TGZ bundles and script to keep total network traffic down, and generate traffic only when we want to do so.

0 Kudos
doomdevice
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

there is no need to burn a CD. just copy the bundle update file on your system with the remote cli installed.

Open a command line (this example is for windows:

set VI_SERVER=ESX3i-IP

set VI_USERNAME=root

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VI Remote CLI\bin>vihostupdate.pl -i -b c:\tmp\ESXe350-200712401-O-BG.zip

after a password input for the ESX the bundle will be extracted and the valid patches installed.

Do a restart after some minutes.

VI PowerScripter [http://www.powerscripter.net] Every Click can be a customized function within VI client
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you're still looking at this, I have a few methods documented here to patch 3i without VirtualCenter - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Patch_3i_without_VC.html

0 Kudos