VMware Cloud Community
doggy
Contributor
Contributor

How to install a new physical hard disk to ESX 3.02?

Hi, sorry, bit of a newbie question:

I have a new 146GB physical hard disk that I want to install to my ESX 3.02 server to give me a bit more space for development VMs. The ESX server is a HP DL360 G5 with a few hard disk slots free. At the moment it has two hard disks, configured in RAID 1, which hold ESX . The new disk is a 10k SAS hotpluggable.

How do I go about getting ESX to see the new hard disk? I haven't done anything yet..

Thanks very much

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vlchild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My guess would be that, unless you have your RAID software loaded, you need to reboot, define this new drive as a logical drive with the RAID software, then once it comes up you goto the sotrage configuration on ESX host and search for new storage avialble.

I have never had to do this, but that is where I would start.

Lee

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

The other problem is you said that you configured it as RAID 1. You cant grow that so, unless you have your HP software installed, you'll use that to be able to add that drive and format it as VMFS.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you want to add the new disk for Dev VM's (obviously with no redundancy), you will need to reboot the server and boot off a HP Smartstart CD (you should already have one that came with the server), otherwise download the media from the HP website.

When you boot from the smart start CD, launch the ACU CD - select the new disk, create a new array etc etc - save changes and exit the ACU and reboot the server with the CD removed. When ESX comes back online it should have already identified the new storage, if not, re-scan. Create the new datastore.

0 Kudos
doggy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much all.

Any clues as to how to install the HP RAID software to ESX? I guess I should have that for notification of a failed mirrored driver etc..

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Download and install HP Proliant Support Pack (7.9.1a) - when you install this it will ask you to specify SNMP settings etc, where you want to send your traps to etc so you can be alerted of hardware issues, server going offline etc (depending on how your management software is configure - E.G HP Systems Insight Manger, or CA's Spectrum)

0 Kudos