VMware Cloud Community
carsontu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to install SATA RAID Controller, LSI MEGARAID 150-4 driver on ESX 3.01 or 3.5

I heard that LSI MEGARAID 150-4 SATA RAID controller works in ESX. I just bought one. However, when I was installing ESX 3.01 or 3.5, the RAID controller couldn't be installed. I manually selected from the list. Didn't work. Then I downloaded the 150-4 Liunx driver from LSI website, extracted it into floppy. then back into installation and choose have disk, no lucky. Then I thought that maybe the ESX linux doesn't recognize the floppy format from windows, then I was trying to create the driver disk in unix. However, LSI driver disk became 1.7MB in Unix (solaris 10, virtual) after gzip or unzip it. It's single file, it can't fix into on floppy disk. How can I get it work?

Is there anybody who can share the experience with detail procedure that how to install SATA DAID controller in ESX? I have not try ESX 2.5 yet. Does the ESX version makes difference?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
a18041967
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can also confirm that the LSI MEGARAID 150-4 does work OK with 2.5.x, 3.0.1 & 3.5 it sounds like you are making progress with this. You will need two network ports, the onboard NIC's are unlikely to work, I suggest you look at the compatibility list and buy a cheap dual port card off ebay. One other thing to remember, try and disable things like sound cards, infra red basically anything that is not used or supported by VMWare, this will hopefully reduce compatibility problems.

Best of luck.

0 Kudos
d5omino
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I happen to be having the same problem. I think the user having the issue may have left out a very critical detail. the error message occurs just after the screen "Installation Method” where you answer the question "what type of media contains the packages to be installed" Options are "Local CD-ROM, Hard Drive, NFS, FTP, HTTP" When you select "Local CD-ROM" it says "No Drivers Found" however if you continue to read it says " Unable to find any devices for this installation type". ive done some research on Linux distros and there’s tons of people having the issue and all seem to b able to resolve it by specifying something like "linux all-generic-ide irqpoll pci=nommconf

" something or other... it basically makes the installer use a generic IDE mode for the CD-ROM, this only happens when the CD-rom is a "SATA" cd rom... dunno why or how... im going to keep looking till I figure it out.. Or maybe I’ll just do the FTP thing... That’s not a bad idea... just wish I could ensure it actually see's the drives before I go through all that trouble.

0 Kudos