VMware Cloud Community
ultrasoul
Contributor
Contributor

How to import ovf under vmesx3.0.2.

Hi, Expert

I have esx3.0.2 and VC2.2. I succeeded to use VMware converter 3.0.3 to convert my physical winxp to virtual machine which includes *.vmx file.

Because I want to put the virtual OS on EX3.0.2, I use vmware converter to transform the winxp virtual machine to *.ovf format. But I found VC2.2

does not have File=>Virtual Appliance=>import to import *.ovf format Virtual OS as the laste VC2.5 which is shipped with ESX3.5/3.5i.

Kindly please advise how to deploy *.vmx file or *.ovf file on VMWARE ESX3.0.2.

Thank u in advance.

Gryan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When you use VMware Converter during the wizard of converting the VM you can set the destination to the ESX box

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
ultrasoul
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, madda

I just have VMware Converter Starter Edition 3.0.3 which is free. Enterprise Key is needed to convert the physical machine to ESX box as the attached picture.

Is there any way to do P2V to ESX box without Enterprise license?

Also, I found VMware Converter has boot cd to do offline convert, but I do not where I can download that. Kindly please help.

Best Regards.

Gryan

0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you install VMware Converter onto the physical box you want to convert, you can then convert that local box to the ESX server. I have done this quite a few times using the free product and it works very well

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
ultrasoul
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Madda

as you said, I installed vmware convert locally and I can P2V to ESX server. Thank u.

0 Kudos