VMware Cloud Community
Fpwr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to exclude VM from HA availability constraint calculation

Hi,

I would like to confirm if I set "Disable" on few VM HA settings (cluster level), These VMs will not be included in the HA "Prevent VMs from being Powered on if they violate availability constraints" ?

Thanks for your answers

Regards

Julien

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no, because you have disabled HA for the VM(s) in question. Therefore, it will not move, nor be calculated.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, if you set the VM to Disabled in the VM Restart Priority, the VM will not only not be moved, but remain powered off on the host that failed.

0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

you may choose allow VM to be power on even violate the available constraints, and disable the VM which do not require HA to save more resources to serve the important VM during HA failover.

Craig

vExpert 2009

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
Fpwr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answers guys, but it need to know if I keep the setting on "Prevent VM to be powered on...." and in the same cluster I disable every VM that don't need HA, Is the HA ressources calcluation will exclude these VM ?

Thanks for your help again

Regards

Julien

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you disable the HA setting on a VM, that VM will remain registered to the failed host in an (in a powered off state) and will not be calculated into your failover capacity if an HA event occurs.

0 Kudos
Fpwr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Troy,

Thanks for your quick reply, just one more clarification, You said "will not be calculated into your failover capacity if an HA event occurs". It's just a semantic concern but I really need to know if these VM will be included or not in the HA calculation that prevent to power on new VM (thus before the failover itself)!!

FYI : I tried to calculate the slotsize following VC 2.5 algorithm and witouh reservation I will be able to power on only 8 VM onto 2 x DL585 G5 (16 CPU + 128 Gb RAM) .... Smiley Sad

Thanks again for your clarification

Regards

Julien

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no, because you have disabled HA for the VM(s) in question. Therefore, it will not move, nor be calculated.

0 Kudos
Fpwr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

Thanks for the follow up, appreciated

Regards

Julien

0 Kudos