VMware Cloud Community
Borat_Sagdiev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to enable scripted install?

This should be an easy one guys: I am trying to enable a scripted installation for an ESX 3.0.x host, but I can not figure out the proper way to comment or uncomment the lines as is suggested on page 94 of the server configuration guide. I have tried a semicolong for the uncomment and removing the < from the front and the > from the back of where the lines are supposed to be uncommented, but I feel that I am not doing everything right. Here is the section that needs commenting/uncommenting, what do I do to get it into script-ready state? I have restated the mgmt-vmware service as suggested in the manual, but I am still getting a page that says that my server is not ready for scripted install. Help!

<!-- ===== scripted install handler ===== -->

<!-- Note: Please comment the line below, if enabling Scripted Install Functionality. -->

<action path="/scriptedInstall" type="org.apache.struts.actions.ForwardAction" parameter="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/disabled.jsp" />

<!-- Note: Scripted Install access is disabled by default. Please uncomment the lines below to enable the same. -->

<!--

<action path="/scriptedInstall" type="com.vmware.webcenter.scripted.ProcessAction">

<forward name="scriptedInstall.form1" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/form1.jsp" />

<forward name="scriptedInstall.form2" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/form2.jsp" />

<forward name="scriptedInstall.form3" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/form3.jsp" />

<forward name="scriptedInstall.form4" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/form4.jsp" />

<forward name="scriptedInstall.form5" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/form5.jsp" />

<forward name="scriptedInstall.form6" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/form6.jsp" />

<forward name="scriptedInstall.form7" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/form7.jsp" />

</action>

-->

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BennyJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Should look something like this. Basically to comment out a line (or block) add

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BennyJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Should look something like this. Basically to comment out a line (or block) add

0 Kudos
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi

I've written a blog post about scripted installs. It will give you more info on the scripting part. Hope you'll find it helpful.

Gabrie

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
0 Kudos
Borat_Sagdiev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it any different for ESX 3.5? I can't get this thing to come up no matter what I do..

0 Kudos
santhi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

only take out these 2 lines.

<!--

-->

Borat_Sagdiev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So this is what I have now and it's still telling me that the scripted installation is disabled. I've restarted mgmt-vmware a few times now. Very frustrating. Note that this is ESX 3.5 if it makes any difference.

<!-- ===== scripted install handler ===== -->

<!-- Note: Please comment the line below, if enabling Scripted Install Functionality. -->

<!-- action path="/scriptedInstall" type="org.apache.struts.actions.ForwardAction" parameter="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/disabled.jsp" -->

<!-- Note: Scripted Install access is disabled by default. Please uncomment the lines below to enable the same. -->

<action path="/scriptedInstall" type="com.vmware.webcenter.scripted.ProcessAction">

<forward name="scriptedInstall.form1" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/form1.jsp" />

<forward name="scriptedInstall.form2" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/form2.jsp" />

<forward name="scriptedInstall.form3" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/form3.jsp" />

<forward name="scriptedInstall.form4" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/form4.jsp" />

<forward name="scriptedInstall.form5" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/form5.jsp" />

<forward name="scriptedInstall.form6" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/form6.jsp" />

<forward name="scriptedInstall.form7" path="/WEB-INF/jsp/scriptedInstall/form7.jsp" />

</action>

0 Kudos
santhi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you using nano or vi editor? Any other edits will have unwanted

characters on the file, which won't work.

Santhi

0 Kudos
Borat_Sagdiev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

AgHhH!!!!!!!! OK ,since mgmt-vmware service is one that I restart most frequently, I was for some reason restartintg it and not vmware-webAccess! Once I restarted the correct service it worked! Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How about for ESX 4.0 ?

Thank you,

Express

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos