VMware Cloud Community
ramsas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to create a bootable CD-ROM from ISO image?

Folks,

I'm struggling to figure out how to create a bootable CD-ROM from the ISO image of ESX3.5 available through evaluation. I have tried to create the bootable CD but the system does not see it as bootable. I created the bootable CD using Sonic RecordNow. The system is able to see and boot from a Win98 bootable CD (from distribution, not created from Sonic RecordNow). Any thoughts or ideas on different ways or tools?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I am not familiar with your software, but you typically should not have to specify that the disk is going to be bootable. That information should be included in the ISO file. The whole idea behind an ISO file, or any other image for that matter, is that it is just that, and exact image of the CD or DVD. Thus, the burning software should treat the image file the same as if it were doing a straight copy of an actual disk. I would do what everyone else has suggested, and try a different burning software. Many allow you to simply right click on the image in windows, and select to burn. No check boxes, no options, just burn it.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Patrick_Miller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There should be an option to burn a Disc from an image. You don't need to do anything special to make the CD bootable, it's already all contained in the .iso.

Just a quick edit, I find Ashampoo to be a great recording app. Check out the free trial, it'll burn the .iso without problems.

0 Kudos
lightfighter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

use nero...... or magic iso and just burn img to disk, its that smiple

0 Kudos
ramsas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Patrick! That option is there in the SW. However, there is an additional button (green) to specify that you have a bootable image on the hard drive (see attached picture).

0 Kudos
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The other posters are correct. The image should already be "bootable" by default. It sounds as if your burining software may be the problem. I used Roxio to create my CD, but any of the other mentioned products will work. I assume that the system is set up to boot from a CD, as you mentioned that it boots from another CD. Thus, I would try different software. If you don't have any download a trial/free version and use that, should work fine.

Patrick_Miller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually, it looks like you are just burning a data cd, and trying to specify the .iso file as the bootable disk. It will just burn the .iso file to the CD, without actually burning the disc image.The bootable disk it is asking for is more for creating custom boot cds, using boot files extracted from a different source (e.g. Win2k3 cd, floppy disk, etc...)

You need to look for an option to burn a CD from an image file. I am not sure this is supported in Sonic...but like I said, Ashampoo is a ~20mb download, full featured, and will burn the .iso without issue.

Hope that helps!!

dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I am not familiar with your software, but you typically should not have to specify that the disk is going to be bootable. That information should be included in the ISO file. The whole idea behind an ISO file, or any other image for that matter, is that it is just that, and exact image of the CD or DVD. Thus, the burning software should treat the image file the same as if it were doing a straight copy of an actual disk. I would do what everyone else has suggested, and try a different burning software. Many allow you to simply right click on the image in windows, and select to burn. No check boxes, no options, just burn it.

0 Kudos
ramsas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! I've gotten past this stage. Used Ashampoo. The system is booting but now is panicking during boot.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I wouldn't normally post a utility here but, I use ISO Recorder. You just right-click on the ISO to burn it. Or, you right-click on a CD to create an ISO.

Note, if you install this then install Nero, it breaks it. you have to install this AFTER Nero. Or, I could be using an older version.

0 Kudos