VMware Cloud Community
Mike-S
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to copy virtual servers to another ESX host?

Hello,

I have a single ESX server with SAN storage in location A. I also have another single ESX server with SAN storage in location B.

I need to copy a virtual server from ESX server in location A to ESX server in location B. How can I do this from the ESX service console? And can I copy the virtual server while it is still running?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you have ssh enabled for root on both PC, you can use the command.

cd into the datastore where the VM is residing, then use

scp -r REQUIRED_VM_DIRECTORY_NAME root@IP_OF_DESTINATION:/vmfs/volumes/NAME_OF_DATASTORE/

There are ways to do the same by valid Linux user as well, but it requires few more steps {This is used when root is disabled for SSH}

Regards

Anil

Save the planet

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums - You will not be able to do this while the VM is runninging - If you want an exact copy of the VM then you will have to copy the directory where the VM is stored if your want to build a new VM using the system disk of this VM wall you will need to do is copy the VMDK (virtual disk of the VM) located in the virtual machines directory to the new sotrage and build a new VM but when it comes tot he time to create a virtual disk say use existing and point to the copy of the virtual disk - the vmdk - depending on LAN speeds there wil be down time since the VM will be powered off -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Mike-S
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info

I need to know the commands to type into the service console to perform the copy? Is there some FTP process I can use from inside the Service Console?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

FTP is not enabled I would use the SCP command - or possibly take a look at a tool like WinSCP -

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you have ssh enabled for root on both PC, you can use the command.

cd into the datastore where the VM is residing, then use

scp -r REQUIRED_VM_DIRECTORY_NAME root@IP_OF_DESTINATION:/vmfs/volumes/NAME_OF_DATASTORE/

There are ways to do the same by valid Linux user as well, but it requires few more steps {This is used when root is disabled for SSH}

Regards

Anil

Save the planet

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

0 Kudos
Mike-S
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Cooldude09,

That is exactly what I was after - Just testing it now but looking good!

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Your welcome.

If you find it useful, please feel free to mark as helpful or correct answer.

Regards

Anil

Save the planet

0 Kudos