VMware Cloud Community
BPL5000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to add a license

I just downloaded a new license, but I do not know how to add it to the license server. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi there, you need copy the .lic file to your License Server (your VC server if you followed the defaults) and then load the license file using the License Server Manager.

Detailed instructions are in the VI3 installation guide, page 40 onwards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi there, you need copy the .lic file to your License Server (your VC server if you followed the defaults) and then load the license file using the License Server Manager.

Detailed instructions are in the VI3 installation guide, page 40 onwards.

0 Kudos
BPL5000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The license file is on the License Server, which is also the VC server. Reading the instructions, I see how to setup the license file during the installation of the License Server, but I'm not sure I'm understanding how to add a new license file after the installation. Right now I have renamed the old lic file and added the new file to "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware License Server\" I name the new license file the same name... vmware.lic. I next plan was to click on Stop Server, Start Server and ReRead License File as explained in the instructions. I started with Stop Server, but the status bar continues to say "Stopping Server" and it never stops.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It probably has stopped, taht status bar has refresh issues. Click start server, then query the license server, you'll find it's probably working.

0 Kudos
BPL5000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had to copy the components from the new license file into the old license file. Then in LMTOOLS, I clicked on Stop Server, Start Server and ReRead License File. Then I needed to reconnect the ESX servers by right clicking on each host and choosing "Connect".

0 Kudos