VMware Cloud Community
NNatic
Contributor
Contributor

How-to Install Patch for ESX Server 2.5.4 (First time Linux user)

I have upgraded our ESX servers from 2.2.4 to 2.5.4 recently and did so using the ISO as i did not know enough about Linux to install it using the download alone (for the same reason as below). Now that i have done so, i need to get to the latest patch but dont know enough to even follow the directions below:

http://www.vmware.com/support/esx25/doc/esx-254-200702-patch.html

as i read through the patch i get to item number 5 and i am confused.

Does this intance of linx have a GUI to use or is it all command line? if it is command line, how do i download this patch to the temp directory? What is the command? Or is there a browser to do so with?

I know this may be the most pathetic post on this board... but you can all sympathize with me as one day you were here too Smiley Happy I have inherited these VM server from a co-worker that left and they are the only Linux servers in an all windows shop.

Thanks for your help!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You will require some basic understanding of linux to do what you are trying to do.

You need a program that will allow you to SCP the files from your Windows system after download such as WinSCP or Veeam, then you will need a program to allow you to ssh into the box to run the upgrade script such as putty.

I might suggest you hire yourself some temporary help or contract a VMware Consultant to come in and teach you the basics.

There are many VMware Partners in Atlanta or VMware has a Professional Services Organization that can help you out.

You might also want to call VMware Tech Support and they will get you where you need to be.

Although possible, this forum may not be the right place to get you where you need to be from where you are.

Message was edited by:

BrianG

0 Kudos
NNatic
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help and I respect your answer ... i am lost with all of this. I will installing a test box at the office on Monday to start working with all of this.

Would i be able to burn it to a cd and copy it off the cd?

thanks Brian

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you had an understanding of Linux you could do that.

The way most folks with Windows and some linux do it is with one of the utilities I mentioned in my previous post.

It is though indeed possible to have the update file on a CD, mount the CD to the COS, and copy to the /tmp file system to run the upgrade script.

This is really simple if you have some basic Linux. Someone could show you how and you could document for next time. There are others on these forums that are great at explaining things here. Perhaps come monday someone will type up a step by step for you then.

You should google putty and WinSCP in the meantime as you will require these utilities.

Message was edited by:

BrianG

0 Kudos
NNatic
Contributor
Contributor

I wanted to take a minute to let anyone with a similar situation know how this was done. I read up a little bit on linux basic commands and got this completed as i needed.

i rebooted the server into linux up mode and at the command line entered in :

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

i then browsed into the directory it was mounted to:

cd mnt

cd cdrom

Copied the patch that i needed

cp theFileName /root

Browsed into the /root directory:

cd root

and followed the instructions in the readme from there.

Hope i helped someone out there!

0 Kudos