VMware Cloud Community
aideyuk
Contributor
Contributor

How do we get rid of a VM with no visible delete options ?

It started off as a Failed Migration of a VM between Esx 2.5.2 and Esx 3.0.2

We had a communication failure during the process with the San and as such it failed.

On the 3.0.2 server the updated new VM was partially created, and only has one real option of "Complete Migration"

The faulty HBA is now fixed so we tried to continue the Migration by choosing "Complete Migration" but it came up with error "status: file not found "

I tried to log a call but evidently we can't on Sundays unless an Actual ESX server is down ?

We've now had to push on and have Migrated the original VM successfully to another Esx 3.0.2 host with no problems ...

The problem we have is the VM on the first Esx 3.0.2 is waiting for us to Complete Migration that we cannot do and no longer need to do.

How do we get rid of this VM as there's no visible delete options ?

Cheers A

0 Kudos
9 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

FYI: this thread has been moved to the VI: ESX 3.0 forum.

Oliver Reeh[/i]

[VMware Communities User Moderator|http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-2444][/i]

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

So with he VI Client - when you right click on the VM Name do you have an option of delete form disk?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
aideyuk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ...cheers for a reply ....

The Remove from Inventory + delete from disk are greyed out ....I can't even rename it or edit its settings ........

Any ideas guys ?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I would try restarting the vmware-mgmt agent on the host that has the VM - using the command service vmware-mgmt restart

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
aideyuk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi thanks for replying ....

I've tried the command as user root ...but i get the following message ?

"vmware-mgmt: unrecognized service"

Any idea's ?

this is from the ESX 3.0.2 server where the failed migration is sat ....

Ta

A

0 Kudos
aideyuk
Contributor
Contributor

Any other idea's chaps ......

I'll probably end up restarting the ESX server to see if that will clear it ...

its just i can't do that at the moment ....

cheers

A

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

It should be service mgmt-vmware restart

aideyuk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that ....

Its got rid of it trying to complete a migration ...

but now its showing as servername(inaccessble)

And all options are still greyed out so i still can't get rid of it .....Any ideas ?

Cheers

Adrian

0 Kudos
aideyuk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sorted it .....

There was no folder on the ESX server for the VM, so i created one and copied accross the VMX from the good VM

Then I did the restart again and its now let me me remove the failed server from the inventory ..hoorah !!

Many thanks for your help ....

Adrian ...

0 Kudos