VMware Cloud Community
kaychan
Contributor
Contributor

How do I move VMDK from one LUN to another LUN

We need to take a data-store down for maintenance so I need to move the VMDK files of VM from one LUN to another, what is the best and fastest way to do it?? One of the VMDK has about 500 GB of data on it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

If you have VirtualCenter and you can simply cold migrate the VM to another LUN. If it's the same ESX host that can see both LUN's just un-register the VM, copy the files (use vmkfstools to import the disk file) and re-register it. You can also use FastSCP to copy the files from one to another. The below post talks about this...

http://communities.vmware.com/message/967116#967116

Eric Siebert

VMware Communities User Moderator

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Check out my website: VMware-land

Read my virtualization blog: SSV Blog

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

...and, if you are running 3.5/2.5 you can use sVMotion which will allow your VM's to stay on-line during the migration.

0 Kudos
kaychan
Contributor
Contributor

How about the ESX server, how would it react if the LUN is taken offline for a few minutes and then back on line again?? What do I need to do before and after the fact??

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

It will probably log some errors and you won't be able to access the storage while it is down but other then that it will be no big deal. In many cases any running VM's that are on a volume that is unavailable stay running for quite some time before they finally go down.

Eric Siebert

0 Kudos
kaychan
Contributor
Contributor

So would things all go back to normal when the LUNs are back online??

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Yes it should see the LUN's again when they become available and re-connect. If they do not you might try doing a Re-scan to force it to look for the LUN.

Eric Siebert

0 Kudos