VMware Cloud Community
lowbie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I give myself permissions.

Sorry everyone but I'm new to VMware so pardon my noobness. I have some ISOs I downloaded from e-open that I want to transfer to the datastore folder on my ESX 3.5 Server. (I'm running Infrastructure 3) I want to do this so I don't have to burn the images onto CDs and boot through physical media. I can't seem to figure out how to transfer the files. I have read many things about using WINSCP or VC 2.5 but nothing solid. Can someone provide insight or show me where I can find some documentation on how to do this? Thanks!

EDIT

So I managed to connect using WINSCP and I can browse all the files. I'm using the "admin" profile and I added it to the group root and admin. When I try to do anything on the server I get the error...

Permission denied.

Error code: 3

Error message from server: Permission denied

Request code: 14

How do I give myself access? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Subatomic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes VI Client - vmware infra client

In the Resources box in the Datastore section. Right clicking any datastore listed and selecting Browse will open the Datastore Browser

The Upload button is next to the Create New Folder button and looks like a stack of disks with the green up arrow on it.

If the comments were useful, please consider awarding points for helpful or correct. Thanks - SA -

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try using WinSCP and copy the file to a more friendly location such as /home/your user ID or /tmp. Then log into the service console, su or sudo over, and use mv to move the iso to your vmfs location. This might be easier than trying to manipulate file system permissions.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Where are you trying to put the ISO files? When browsing to /volumes/vmfs/<LUN>/ if you try dropping them in there do you still get the error?

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
Subatomic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You might want to take a look at this. I think you'll find it useful,

http://vmetc.com/2008/06/04/use-the-vi-client-datastore-browser-to-upload-files-to-esx-hosts/

If the comments were useful, please consider awarding points for helpful or correct. Thanks - SA -
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

On second thought, SubA's way is much better. I'd give him points. Smiley Happy

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
lowbie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry but does "VI Client" = "VMware Infrustructure Client" ??? Because if it does, I have that installed and I can't find the option to upload an ISO anywhere.

0 Kudos
Subatomic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Gary!

I used to do what you did. Mainly due to coming from a Windows background.

The slight alternate method to what you initially proposed would be to apply Linux level permissions using chmod in a folder in the datastore say

/whateverPath/datastore/myisos

This would avoid the need to su or sudo

I'm not sure which is the fastest transfer method.

Message was edited by: Subatomic

0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sounds like you have an older client. This is a 3.5 VI Client feature. You'll need to do it old school as I outlined before or use chmod as SubA suggested.

0 Kudos
Subatomic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes VI Client - vmware infra client

In the Resources box in the Datastore section. Right clicking any datastore listed and selecting Browse will open the Datastore Browser

The Upload button is next to the Create New Folder button and looks like a stack of disks with the green up arrow on it.

0 Kudos
lowbie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No I'm just blind as hell. I found it, I didn't realize it would be under the "properties > datastores > browse datastores" Thanks everyone for your help. Mutch appreciated!

0 Kudos
amarnathreddy19
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi,

Download FastScp and install it in your client machine.

after successful installation, open the fastscp and add your esxserver ip address....

and copy iso images into esxserver.

hope this will work for you.

Amar

0 Kudos
xybal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm using samba server on my ESX node and I'm sharing folders I'm interested in (even if it's the datastore).

The other solution is to use a tool like winscp

0 Kudos