VMware Cloud Community
JoshG1
Contributor
Contributor

How do I do this?

I apologize in advance for the newbie question. I'm tyring to setup DHCP in MS windows on a single VM in ESX 3.5. The ESX host has two physical NICs. One NIC for each subnet of DHCP hosts. I know I need at least one Vswitch to connect the two physical NICS to the VM. But how many VNICs do I need? The long and short of it is that I want DHCP requests to come in on one NIC and go out the same NIC for that subnet and vice versa. Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

You need 1 vnic per vswitch.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
JoshG1
Contributor
Contributor

Can I have two VNICs on one VM pointing to the same Vswitch?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Can I have two VNICs on one VM pointing to the same Vswitch?

Yes, but you can't split DHCP to 2 different NIC's. Maybe if it would be better to tell us exactly what your goal is and maybe we can help you with a solution.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

At least with ISC DHCP, the dominant DHCP in the unix world, you most certainly can do these between different NICs, though a better solution is often to set an ip helper address in your switches.

--Matt

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

At least with ISC DHCP, the dominant DHCP in the unix world

Yes, wouldn't it be nice. Unfortunately in the Windows world we don't have those cool Unix abilities... And like you mentioned, I am finding more things I like about Linux/Unix.. That's cool info. Thanks!

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

That would be annoying.

Still, I would recommend to the OP NOT to do the dual NIC thing, and instead set an iphelper address on his switches if possible.

--Matt

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

That would be annoying.

Annoying to configure / Administer, but knowledge part is interesting. That may be interesting to see how it works, just for knowledge purposes.

Still, I would recommend to the OP NOT to do the dual NIC thing, and instead set an iphelper address on his switches if possible.

Yes and not to mention, one server can serve many segments over 1 NIC, don't need separate NICS for each DHCP segment, now THAT's annoying.

0 Kudos
JoshG1
Contributor
Contributor

The goal is to have a DHCP server with two NICs, one in each subnet. The requests come in on different subnets for different DHCP pools and are responded to in their own respective NIC/network.

This worked before VMware, so how do I do it now.

I have to apologize for not having more specific information. This is not my network, it's my customer's network.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

create 2 vswitches. attach pNIC1 to vSwitch1. Attach pNIC2 to vSwitch 2.

Create 2 NICs for your VM. attach vNIC1 to pSwitch1. Attach vNIC2 to pswitch 2.

Done (except for the software bit).

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

0 Kudos