VMware Cloud Community
Exclaimer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can I list the VM's on an ESX and their Storage consumption?

I have been asked to get a list all the VM's on each of our ESX's and the amount of Disc Storage each one uses.

This is because we are running at over 95% on the storage servers and we need to identify what is using all of this space.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try rvtools.

It is at http://www.robware.net.

I don't know if it pretty-prints any reports.

Also look at PowerGUI and the VMware Power Pack and the VMware Toolkit 1.5 and various PowerShell/VMware resources on the Internet.

I have not tried them out yet but there should be something that will help you.

HTH Tom

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You could try this script

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-7070

Produces very nice output for Management types.

0 Kudos
dgun07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can use a third-party component like a "MCS Storage View"

http://www.mightycare.de

Good Luck

DG

Exclaimer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Nice output, and it does list the VM's on the ESX.

But it doesn't give ESX Disc usage.

Some interesting information though.

Steve

0 Kudos
Exclaimer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, This does give me close to what I need. In that it lists all of the VM's and (if they are powered on) the configured virtual disc size.

What I need is the ESX Disc space used by each VM, i.e. size of Virtual discs/Snapshosts/config etc. So that we can show where all of our 4TB of datastore has gone.

Steve

0 Kudos
MoondogTIC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Try Veeam Reporter. The demo puts in *** at the end of object names, but produces great documentation.

0 Kudos
Exclaimer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen this before, but checked it out incase it had cahnged.

If does indeed show a lot of information, and somewhere in there is the information I want. However digging it out is not a lot different to doing an ls on all of the VM directories and requires a lot of manual analysing. My manager see this as a lot of information he doesn't want. And that worries me, because you give a manager more information than he needs and he'll find something to crucify you with, either something they don't understand or more work that wasn't needed.

All I simply (ha) need is a list of the VM's and the total amount of space they consume on the datasores (virtual discs/snapshots the lot.)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

We can use simple command du -h /vmfs/volumes/NAME_OF_DATASTORE/ in a script to see whats the actual usage for that datastore...same command can be used for individual directories....thereby giving details as required..

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

Exclaimer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's very helpfull and seems to be what I want.

Of course my manager now wants more.

Now he's told me what his real motive is, the first answer I got turns out to be the best. He wanted something to tell him what VM's were configured with to much disc.

So once I have that report I can recover space from the vm's that aren't using all the disc asigned.

Sorry for the confusion. And thank you everyone for your help.

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Whenever I see "I have been asked" I think management, which in turn leads me to think pretty pictures. That is why I went straight to the report generator.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try rvtools.

It is at http://www.robware.net.

I don't know if it pretty-prints any reports.

Also look at PowerGUI and the VMware Power Pack and the VMware Toolkit 1.5 and various PowerShell/VMware resources on the Internet.

I have not tried them out yet but there should be something that will help you.

HTH Tom

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Check out this new reporting script: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9420

There is a sample output if you're curious on what this report provides and v0.5 will be out later tonight.

=========================================================================

--William

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ll -h from within a directory will tell you how much space is being used in the directory. I used that a lot on a couple of development hosts where we thought it would be a good idea to use thin-provisioned disks. We changed our mind the first time we ran out of space in a datastore!

Sounds like someone has already given you a better solution though. Good luck with the boss.

0 Kudos