VMware Cloud Community
v-4-virtual
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HostD, vmkcore, core dump partition, what happens after psod to vmkcore ?

Hi ,

Freinds can any body tell me wher can find ( in which documents ) the information associe\ated with key words below.

what is hostd , vmkcore, core dump partition , what happens to vmkcore after psod what is psod .

what is Zdump

plz let me know

Virtual V Th!nk V!rtuaL!!! | http://v4virtual.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

For linux vm, to check for the tools installation, try to check for the command vmware-config.pl.

or else you can also check for the rpm vmware-tool.********.rpm usin the below commad.

rpm -qa | grep vmware

and for windows vm, check for the vmware symbol in the right side lower corner of the vm console.

and also you can check in the installed software or application in add remove programs.

For all the information on ESX server, I would suggest you for a book called :

"VMware ESX Server : Advanced Technical Design Guide "

Regards,

Karunakar

If you find this informaiton helpfull, please opt for giving points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Vmkcore (vmkcore)

The core dump partition where the Vmkernal puts memory dump information in the event of a "purple screen of death" or a "kernel panic"

Hostd :

This is the process or daemon for vi connectivity to the ESX server.

core dump partition:

This is the partition created while installing ESX, this partition is used to dump the core's created when the machine PSOD's.

esxcfg-dumppart -l , this command will give you the information of core dump partition.

PSOD:

Purple screen of Death, if any exceptions or asserts are created by any process or memory handlers for MCE (memory check exception) this PSOD is gnenerated, this will bring machine to halt. you have to reboot to bring mahcine to normal state.

Zdump:

this is the core dump file created when machine generates an exception or assert (PSOD).

vmkdump --zdumpname < zdump file >, this command will unzip the core dump generated into human readable file.

I will try to find you any document wich has all these information.

-Karunakar

v-4-virtual
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Friend,

Great , thanx for ur reply, plz find the docs and let me kno ,

Plz tell how can i check whether vmware tools in my RHEL4 vm are installed or not is there any command plz .

Thank u Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

For linux vm, to check for the tools installation, try to check for the command vmware-config.pl.

or else you can also check for the rpm vmware-tool.********.rpm usin the below commad.

rpm -qa | grep vmware

and for windows vm, check for the vmware symbol in the right side lower corner of the vm console.

and also you can check in the installed software or application in add remove programs.

For all the information on ESX server, I would suggest you for a book called :

"VMware ESX Server : Advanced Technical Design Guide "

Regards,

Karunakar

If you find this informaiton helpfull, please opt for giving points.

0 Kudos
v-4-virtual
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi fren,

thanx a lot can u help me with a link where i can download this book u suggested "VMware ESX Server : Advanced Technical Design Guide"

Thanking u:)

0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hi,

please try to get that from below link.

but not sure if this book is available for free. I got it from a book store.

-Karunakar