VMware Cloud Community
matcas
Contributor
Contributor

Host with two CPU with different stepping

Hi all, I've 3 host VmWare 3.5 Update 3.

2 of this have 2 quad-core CPU with identical stepping, but the third has 2 quad-core CPU with different stepping (first CPU have 06 and second CPU is 10).

I know that there are a problem with this configuration, is that true?

The problem is only for prior version of VmWare 3.5 (prior of Update 2)?

Thanks for all.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SterlingDA
Contributor
Contributor

The CPU stepping has to be the same on all hosts in a cluster in order for VMotion to work. This includes ESX 3.5 regardless of update level I believe. If you are not planning to use VMotion with all three hosts then you're okay. You can still move VM's manually.

0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

Since Update 2, there is a feature called EVC (Enhanced Vmotion Compatibility) Your hardware has to support it and you have to enable VT extensions and another feature in the BIOS. Off the top of my head I think it was Nx flag something. Older hardware doesn't support it, but all G5 HP servers will and every host in your cluster must be able to support it. Then you can create a new cluster which is EVC enabled and add all the hosts into this cluster. Then you can Vmotion between different processor types to a certain extent.

I've attached a file which details the processor compatbility.

Please consider awarding points if you find this post useful

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I ended up having a mismatched stepping before EVC, that would cause one of my vm's to crash repeatedly. It was difficult to diagnose and find the solution. EVC may be one way to fix the issue, and some hardware will allow you to modify the stepping from a BIOS setting.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
frankagricola
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos