Contributor

Host and Server Based Licences

Guys

At the ESX 2.5 level we had the following licences:

2 x ESX 2.5.4 2CPU servers,

1 x Virtual Center Licence

2 x VC Agents

2 x Vmotion

We took advantage of the $1000US upgrade promo to upgrade these licences (well the VI3 Standard licences what were made available to us by SnS).

So now as part of the upgrade to VI3 we have to use this new licencing tool from vmware, however we would like to have Host based licencing for the ESX servers.

So if I was to do this, how do I go about it, how do I get a host licence for the servers, but get the other licenses as a server licence. Also were do the licences such as HA, DRS, VCB and Vmotion sit, I assume on the VC?

THanks

David

0 Kudos
5 Replies
acr
Champion
Champion

If you want DRS, HA VMotion etc your going to have to go Server Based License..

Virtual Center needs to see all your ESX Servers therefore you need Server Based Licensing..

Im fiarly certain with host license's your VC wont know your ESX Servers are there..!! (although everything weve done seems to have been inc VC..)

The concept of your current licensing structure.. ie your VINs where everything is held on the ESX has totally changed..

This isnt a great link, but its a start..

http://kb.vmware.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/244/1013698_f.SAL_Public.html

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm not doing this but why wouldn't the host be able to have host-based licenses and have all the VC required pieces, excluding the ESX licensing, on the VC license file? It would seem strange to allow host-based licensing and not foresee the desire to also use all the VC features in that environment.

I haven't read that deeply into that aspect but still thought it could be done.

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

Yeah that was actually my thinking, hence fairly sure statement..!!

I agree, thinking about it youd still expect VC to be able to mange the two, i have tried to find out, no answer as yet..

But then why even bother with the two options..?

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

I spoke to VMware, a host based ESX can be managed by VC..

So now ive got to try it..!!

0 Kudos
UnisonNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever give this a shot?

Cheers

David

0 Kudos