VMware Cloud Community
yossiyo
Contributor
Contributor

Host address lookup failed...

Hi,

I've start to configure a new cluster with two esx 3.5 servers, i also activate HA & DRS.

when i try to run a virtaul machine from my VC i get an error message in the up of the console windows:

"Host address lookup for server (xxxxxx) failed: No such host is known"

i've reconfigure my DNS server and the hosts file in each esx...i also configure all the FQDNs in small letters.

trying to reconfigure the cluster didnt help me

thnx

0 Kudos
9 Replies
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Hi, do you have the host records on your DNS server for the ESX hosts? Do you have the FQDN host names in the hosts files? Can you ping the same host name from the service console?

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Your VirtualCenter (vCenter) server needs to be able to perform forward and reverse lookups of your ESX servers. Can your VC resolve the ESX hosts from name to IP and IP to name (forward and reverse)?

0 Kudos
yossiyo
Contributor
Contributor

yes,

i've have made all your suggested tasks and the resolving (forward and reverse lookups) is working find

between the esx and the vc

thnx again

yossi

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So it is now working? Or it's still not working?

0 Kudos
yossiyo
Contributor
Contributor

No, it's not working yet

i've got resolving between them but i still have the same error

i'm also reinstall the esxs, the VC and the AD+DNS.....

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

OK, so you are saying that from each ESX server console you can ping the other ESX server via fqdn and shortname with no problems?

I.E ping esx1

I.E ping esx1.domain.local

These both resolve with no problems?

0 Kudos
fr0nk
Contributor
Contributor

For troubleshooting purposes you can also fix the IP to the name and fqdn by using the hosts file, but:

Did anyone try out how the DNS caching (iirc 10 min cache is enabled when HA is configured, because the DNS server could be a VM). affects the hosts entries when HA is configured on the cluster nodes?

0 Kudos
yossiyo
Contributor
Contributor

I also tried to disable the DNS and start working with hosts file on all the servers

but the system work find for couple of minutes and thn the error message returned...

Important: I try to work with VC 2.5 update 3 and 2 and still got the error

thnx

0 Kudos
yossiyo
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is solved....

i should configure the same dns server in the specific workstation that i worked from......

the connections between the servers was find but from my workstation i can only see the VC

thnx for your help!!!:)

0 Kudos