VMware Cloud Community
VMexplore
Contributor
Contributor

Host CPU is incompatible with the virtual machine's requirements at cpuid level 0x80000001 register 'edx'

I'm trying to migrate a VM in which was built with x64 bit OS. When i try to migrate to a different host i'm getting this error message. Host CPU is incompatible with the virtual machine's requirements at cpuid level 0x80000001 register 'edx'. Mismatch detected for these features: *NX/xd. If the virtual machine does not need this feature, power off the virtual machine and remove the NX/XD requirement by editing the vm setting. I need someone's help thank you in advance

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

What are the different CPUs of the 2 hosts you are trying migrate between?

Can you vMotion other VM's?

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Please consider awarding points if this post was helpful or correct

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
VMexplore
Contributor
Contributor

I have four ESX Host. None of my new x64 bit VM can migrate to Host #1. All other Host are fine.

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does the problem ESX host have VT enabled in the BIOS? If not it would prohibit 64-bit VM's from running on that box.

0 Kudos
VMexplore
Contributor
Contributor

Can you please show me how to get to VT to see if it is enable? Also this is production box.

0 Kudos
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

<span class="jive-thread-reply-body-container">requirements at cpuid level 0x80000001 register 'edx'. Mismatch detected for these features: *NX/xd.

Points towards the NX/XD flag. If you right click on the VM and then navigate to Edit Properties -&gt; Options tab. What do you see under "CPUID Mask"?

If the "expose NX/XD flag to guest is selected, can you make sure that the BIOS has the same setting on both the source and destinaton hosts?

--sanjana

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Because this is a BIOS setting it can be different depending on your host server type. If this is an HP server there is a walkthrough of the commands here: http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627123370238024928353475&threadId=1120296

I would recommend putting this host into maintenance mode, reboot and enter the BIOS and check for VT enabled. This setting may be under the CPU or Security settings. I would check with your hardware manufacturer if it is not easy to find in the BIOS.

paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert

You can check if Intel VT is enabled and seen by ESX from the console.

If you connect to the console and enter the following command:

esxcfg-info -w | grep HV * (if ESX 3.5)

else enter

esxcfg-info -w | grep VT

You should get a response of 3 if VT is enabled and seen by ESX. See the screenshot attachment for a working example.

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding points

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points
VMexplore
Contributor
Contributor

I will try all these suggestion and get back to the forum. Thanks again

0 Kudos
VMexplore
Contributor
Contributor

What I did was ran a CPUID diagnostic tool on my host and saw the supports NX/DX was not enable. So, I will need to go into the Bios and enable then rebuild the host server.

0 Kudos
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thats what I thought too (and initially suggested).

--sanjana

0 Kudos
VMexplore
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone for all the help and quick reply

0 Kudos
UnivarTech
Contributor
Contributor

Do I really have to rebuild the ESX Host once I fix the setting in the BIOS?

0 Kudos
VMexplore
Contributor
Contributor

From what I hear so far. Yes.

0 Kudos
CMCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi all,

See this case:

I have two "identical" CPU's (see image cpu_comparison) One server is Sun Fire x4150 and the other one is hp proliant dl380 g5.

The processors seems not to be the same at the end.... because of a different required bit in the mask!!!

I know that changing the cpuid mask in every VM I can resolve this, but I have to power off all VMs and that's a terrible task to do... there's a lot of them!!!!

Do you know something about this? (see image vmotion error) any other solution???

Thanks in advance...

Celia.-
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check

Compatibility CPU see this KB

Test NX or EDX CPU feature can be hidden from the guest. (Edit Settings HOST)

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
StevemanXP
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I ran across this post after building my first ESX4 / vsphere cluster on a pair of Dell PowerEdge 6850 servers. The first VM I built as 2008 x64 with 4xcpu and 8gb ram, the VM failed to power up with the error listed. Thanks to the posts here, I knew to go into the BIOS and enable VT. VT was disabled on both servers from before the build to this point - I enabled VT on both servers and was able to power on the VM and vmotion it back and forth. So my experience is that no, you do not need to rebuild the ESX servers after enabling VT in the BIOS, at least in ESX4.

cheers

0 Kudos