VMware Cloud Community
REALM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Help configuring database - Oracle or SQL, I'll take either one

Let me say I know nothing database. Can anyone point me to some links on how to configure an Oracle 10g or SQL 2005 database? I mean I don't even know how to create the basic database itself although I've installed both and poked around with no luck. I've googled all over and all I can find is the below, but I don't even know how to create the DB.

Thank you.

Configuring Oracle 8i Connection to Work Locally

If you are planning to use an Oracle database as your VirtualCenter database, and you are going to have VirtualCenter access the database locally.

To prepare an Oracle database to work locally with VirtualCenter:

1. From the Oracle database machine install and prepare Oracle:

1. Install Oracle8i and create a database (VirtualCenter).

2. Download Oracle ODBC 8.1.5 from the Oracle Web site.

3. Install Oracle ODBC driver 8.1.5 through the Oracle Universal Installer (directions are provided with the driver).

4. Increase the number of open cursors for the database. Add the entry open_cursors = 300 to the C:\Oracle\ADMIN\VPX\pfile\init.ora file.

2. Connect Oracle locally:

0. Create a new tablespace specifically for VirtualCenter using the following SQL statement:

CREATE TABLESPACE vpx DATAFILE 'C:\Oracle\ORADATA\VPX\vpx.dat' SIZE 500M;

1. Create a user for accessing this tablespace through ODBC:

CREATE USER vpxAdmin IDENTIFIED BY vpxadmin DEFAULT TABLESPACE vpx;

2. Allow that user CONNECT and DBA privileges:

GRANT CONNECT, DBA to vpxAdmin;

3. Create an ODBC connection to the database using the following settings:

Data Source Name: VMware VirtualCenter

TNS Service Name: VPX

User Id: vpxAdmin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well you dont' create the DB, you just create the instance. Use SQL it's easier. All you are doing is creating the server and it's SQL Server agent to run, then you point the ODBC to that SQL instance, the VC install will automatically create the tables and permissions.

If you follow the setup guide it gives you the step by step instructions for creating the database and VC.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well you dont' create the DB, you just create the instance. Use SQL it's easier. All you are doing is creating the server and it's SQL Server agent to run, then you point the ODBC to that SQL instance, the VC install will automatically create the tables and permissions.

If you follow the setup guide it gives you the step by step instructions for creating the database and VC.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What version of database are you using for VC? SQL 2005 Express, SQL 2005 Enterprise? or SQL 2000?

Anyways, if you new to SQL, I think you should use the SQL 2005 Express comes with new VC 2.5 and during installation just accept all defaults.

You can manage yoru database with SQL Management Studio Express can be download here

If you be using SQL 2005 Enterprise on different server than logon to your SQL server instance and create new database name "VMware VirtualCenter" and give SQL login account and password. Make sure the user has db_owner and map to "VMware VirtualCenter" database.

From your Virtual Center server, use OBDC connection and create new SQL Native Client DNS with newly created username/password and database.

When you install your Virtual Center server, just point to your newly install database server with user/password info and that's it.

Good luck!

"Reading Is Fundamental" There is no limit to education

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you don't already have licenses for SQL server or Oracle, then you should use SQL Express. While the licenses for either Microsoft SQL or Oracle aren't outrageous, they are not cheap either.

Mike

0 Kudos
IRQ2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I suggest reading this guide

0 Kudos