VMware Cloud Community
pradeepraul
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hardware compatibility

Hi Guys

I am going to install my first ESX 3.5 and want to purchase hardware for that. I was viewing the System compatibility guide for ESX 3.5 from

Systems Compatibility Guide for ESX Server 3.5 and ESX Server 3i (PDF) from the link http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vi_pages/vi_pubs_35.html

I noticed that besides some of the server model there is a X only and some with X and some numbers.

Does the X means that model is supported for that particular ESX version?

And what about the X with numbers with it.

I have attached a screenshot for more info...

Can someone be kind enough and answer this...

Cheers!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EllettIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I take it these are older already in service or ready to be re-serviced servers? I can understand trying to save some $ espcially in a test environment however most "test" environments majically move into production shortly after you implement them Smiley Happy Anyways the generic response to your questions is "it depends". If the servers are heavy hitters like SQL, Exchange, or high use apps then you'll want enough CPU and RAM to support it. The typical response on drive capacity would be similar, "it depends". For SQL and Exchange usually RAID 10 is recommended so you would need to size your drives based on that to include RAID loss.

Now if you plan on implementing HA, DRS, vmotion, etc then you'll need some type of shared storage (Fiber, iSCSI, NAS) to do that so keep that in mind as well. It's easy enough to add your VM's to local storage and them move them (using the converter or something similar) once you get your shared storage.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The numbers are explained below the tables.

0 Kudos
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

X indicates it's supported but it may reference a number of the X which may lead you to look below for notes indicating requirements like certain CPU specs.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
pradeepraul
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for a very quick reply....

To be particular I have 2 more queries

1. So if there is X under 3.5 and no X under ESX 3i does that mean ESX 3.5 is supported on that model with any cpu and not supported for esx3i

2. Say if there is X3,4,5 does that mean that only the server model with particular cpu with numbers below are supported?

Sorry guys I am asking this very novice question as I am going to buy a server and want to be sure of it before buying.....also would like to know since esx 2.5 is old do we get free download of it without the licensing?

Cheers!!!

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. So if there is X under 3.5 and no X under ESX 3i does that mean ESX 3.5 is supported on that model with any cpu and not supported for esx3i

exactly

2. Say if there is X3,4,5 does that mean that only the server model with particular cpu with numbers below are supported?

or with any other limitation that's listed under 3,4 and 5

EllettIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

On #1 yes, or more specifically it's supported with whatever processor you can buy for it Smiley Happy

On #2 yes again.

In my case I purchased a 2950 with a Xeon 53XX series processor (generation two) to start out with then added another 2950 several months later. Well, the generation three 2950 phased the 53XX series processor in favor of the 54XX series processor. Both of these were supported on the list however to maintain VMotion compatibility I had to "downgrade" the processors (purchased separately) on the newer server. Just something else to keep in mind if you plan on adding more ESX hosts at a later date.

Hi

Thanks for a very quick reply....

To be particular I have 2 more queries

Sorry guys I am asking this very novice question as I am going to buy a server and want to be sure of it before buying.....also would like to know since esx 2.5 is old do we get free download of it without the licensing?

Cheers!!!

0 Kudos
pradeepraul
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to all of you guys.....It will really help me a lot when I will look for the server....

I am planning to start with a single ESX host where I can put in 5/6 VMs and later on add another host so I can use HA and DRS....

What can be a good spec for my requirement keeping in mind I will use it as a test environment

CPU speed?

HDD capacity?

RAM?

I have below few server in mind if any of you have experience or can tell me what can be the good choice will be helpful for me...

1. Dell PowerEdge™ 2650 2x Xeon 3066mhz 533, 4GB, 144GB 15K U320, 4x1G NIC DRAC

2. HP Proliant DL 380 G3 2x Intel Xeon 2.8GHz 4GB RAM HP Smart Array 5i Raid Controller with 64MB Cache 3x 72.8GB Ultra 320 15k Hot Plug HDD`s 3x 36.4GB Ultra 320 15k Hot Plug HDD`s,

3. HP Proliant ML370R G3 ServerDual (2x) 3.06ghz Xeon 2GB RAM 4x 36GB U320 10K Hot Plug Hard Disks

Cheers!!!

0 Kudos
EllettIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I take it these are older already in service or ready to be re-serviced servers? I can understand trying to save some $ espcially in a test environment however most "test" environments majically move into production shortly after you implement them Smiley Happy Anyways the generic response to your questions is "it depends". If the servers are heavy hitters like SQL, Exchange, or high use apps then you'll want enough CPU and RAM to support it. The typical response on drive capacity would be similar, "it depends". For SQL and Exchange usually RAID 10 is recommended so you would need to size your drives based on that to include RAID loss.

Now if you plan on implementing HA, DRS, vmotion, etc then you'll need some type of shared storage (Fiber, iSCSI, NAS) to do that so keep that in mind as well. It's easy enough to add your VM's to local storage and them move them (using the converter or something similar) once you get your shared storage.

0 Kudos