VMware Cloud Community
renndabull
Contributor
Contributor

HP DL380 G5 Install

Hi,

I'm fairly new to VI3 and want to know what steps need to be performed to to prep and install VI3 Enterprise & VC on a pair of HP DL380 G5's.

My Setup:

-2 HP DL380 G5's (16 GB memory, (2) 72GB SAS, 3 dual port gig E)

-1 Equallogic PS100E

-2 HP Procurve 2900 switches (24 port)

Questions:

1.) Do I just create a raid 1 arrray via smart start or F8? Any special array settings or just the defaults?

2.) Do I need to change anything in the BIOS?

3.) After the above is completed, do I just install the ESX hosts on each server and than install the HP/ESX management agents?

4.) After installing the HP agents on ESX you can access the management homepage via web browser (just like in windows) right?

Any information provided will be greatly apprecaited!!!

Thanks everyone

0 Kudos
8 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

>1.) Do I just create a raid 1 arrray via smart start or F8? Any special array settings or just the defaults?

Yes, create your raid1 through the ACU in the BIOS. With 72GB of disk it will create all the required partitions and a small VMFS partition with the remaining disk.

>2.) Do I need to change anything in the BIOS?

No

>3.) After the above is completed, do I just install the ESX hosts on each server and than install the HP/ESX management agents?

yes, download them, copy to the ESX server and run the install script, there will be a bunch of prompts which you can mainly take the defaults

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27342.html

>4.) After installing the HP agents on ESX you can access the management homepage via web browser (just like in windows) right?

correct, the install will automatically add the port to the ESX firewall. The URL will be https://:2381

mikeddib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not that you need to change anything in the BIOS, but the processors you have in your servers likely support the Intel VT technology, which you can turn on the in the BIOS.

0 Kudos
spex
Expert
Expert

One more advice for bios settings:

Disable all HW you don't need to save irq lines (serial, parallel, usb)

There have been some performance-problems reported in vmtn with enabled usb.

Regards Spex

0 Kudos
Cloneranger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thats interesting,

What kind off issues have been reported?

My USB is fine, I need it for KVM,

0 Kudos
Cloneranger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

HP disable this by default,

Its a real benefit of running ESX on the latest intel platform.

0 Kudos
renndabull
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the input, I think I'm ready to roll.

Many thank to the other replies, all good info!

0 Kudos
Cloneranger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

cheers spex i'll check those out

0 Kudos