VMware Cloud Community
doggy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HP C Class blade as centralised storage provider?

Hi,

I'm thinking of installing a HP C CLass Blade enclosure and using the HP's storage blades (model SB40c running SAS hard disks) as the shared storage location for the VMs. I plan to host about 15 servers on the system, maybe a few more over time.

Do you see any issues using the SB40c's as the VM's shared storage?

Many thanks

d

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ErMaC1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You cannot use DAS attached to an ESX server on another ESX server. If you want to use DAS attached to a blade, the blade would have to be dedicated[/i] to doing NAS/iSCSI, as ESX's Service console does not include nor support sharing of local disks via NFS or iSCSI (although rather ingenious homebrew solutions for these exist, I would never use them in a production environment).

If you want to use Shared Storage from an ESX server, each ESX box must see it the same way - one cannot see it as DAS and the others as something else. They must all see the same data the same way in order to make Vmotion/etc work.

The storage blade is not a good choice for what you're trying to do. You would be much better off either buying some sort of external storage that exists outside of the chassis. You could get an MSA1000 for cheap FC storage, or grab a DL320S (the storage version) for NFS or iSCSI storage.

If you MUST have storage inside the blade chassis, dedicate a blade+storage blade to doing iSCSI or NFS. Adding a storage blade to every single blade will not only chew up half your enclosure, it'll also mean no Vmotion, DRS, or HA.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The SB40C can only be used as direct attached storage to another blade.

In the future sort of mini EVA's (SAN's) will be available for the C-Class Enclosures.

0 Kudos
doggy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much. Would it be reasonable to try and use the Direct Attached Storage of one of the blades as a shared storage location for VMs spread accross the whole enclosure (clustered over multiple blades)?

d

0 Kudos
ErMaC1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You'd have to direct attach it to a blade running OpenFiler or something like that, and use iSCSI or NFS as your datastore. You could do this, but I wouldn't expect it to get stellar performance. I'm not 100% familiar with the storage controller that comes with the storage blade but I doubt it'd be up to the task of serving a whole enclosure of ESX blades.

0 Kudos
doggy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thinking of putting VM servers which are speed critical, i.e. Citrix and Sql on the blade that has the storage blade attached. And less speed-dependent machines, DC's,RSA, checkpoint management on other server blades but still using the storage blade as shared storage for their VMs?

Are there advantages to having all the VMs on a single shared storage, or would it be best just having multiple ESX servers each with their own DAS within the enclosure? Sorry if this Q is now in the wrong forum.

Thanks for your advice.

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

In your case I would go for the second option, use local DAS on all the ESX server.

Please note that the power of ESX (i.e. VMotion and stuff) isn't available when not using Shared Storage, I guess you want to start with ESX Starter Edition (which is the cheapest around)

0 Kudos
ErMaC1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You cannot use DAS attached to an ESX server on another ESX server. If you want to use DAS attached to a blade, the blade would have to be dedicated[/i] to doing NAS/iSCSI, as ESX's Service console does not include nor support sharing of local disks via NFS or iSCSI (although rather ingenious homebrew solutions for these exist, I would never use them in a production environment).

If you want to use Shared Storage from an ESX server, each ESX box must see it the same way - one cannot see it as DAS and the others as something else. They must all see the same data the same way in order to make Vmotion/etc work.

The storage blade is not a good choice for what you're trying to do. You would be much better off either buying some sort of external storage that exists outside of the chassis. You could get an MSA1000 for cheap FC storage, or grab a DL320S (the storage version) for NFS or iSCSI storage.

If you MUST have storage inside the blade chassis, dedicate a blade+storage blade to doing iSCSI or NFS. Adding a storage blade to every single blade will not only chew up half your enclosure, it'll also mean no Vmotion, DRS, or HA.

0 Kudos
Jae_Ellers
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

HP loves to sell the storage blades because they cost a lot more than other storage solutions.

Pop for the infrastructure, whether it's a NAS storage server or small SAN/iSCSI system.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- http://blog.mr-vm.com http://www.vmprofessional.com -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
0 Kudos
doggy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm obviously keen to try and sort out a shared storage solution here but SANs are out of our league. Saying that it seems I could put a 4GB FC pass thru switch in to the c-class enclosure to connect the blades. Could I run iSCSI over that to the storage blade (which is connected as DAS to a server-blade)? et voila?

d

0 Kudos
doggy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh dear. I just priced up a few things. Think I might have to have a re-think.

I'll go check the forums for a good iSCSI shared storage solution. Thanks all!

d

0 Kudos
ErMaC1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

SANs were a bit out of our league too, when we first started with VMware, but we did some research, asked our HP Rep for suggestions, and bought the MSA1500 starter pack from HP which included everything we needed. We got it all setup and running fairly painlessly. When it comes to the cheaper SANs it's a lot easier than you think.

Also, if your question's been answered it's nice to mark the question as such and award points.

0 Kudos
Jae_Ellers
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Saying that it seems I could put a 4GB FC pass thru

switch in to the c-class enclosure to connect the

blades. Could I run iSCSI over that to the storage

blade (which is connected as DAS to a server-blade)?

et voila?

Nope, you're barking up the wrong tree. The fc passthru is for san connections.

Now if you get one of the switch options (which will be even more out of your league) you could probably connect a iSCSI or NAS without cables into your vm setup. However, that is probably pretty expensive as well.

I'd say if you're virtualizing < 15 machines you should go with one decent system with the understanding if anything blows everything goes. If management doesn't like that they should cough up the bucks to make it work. Yes, 2x systems + entry san is going to run you $50-70k, but that's still only 3-5k/system with better performance and reliability than one box for $20k

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- http://blog.mr-vm.com http://www.vmprofessional.com -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Doggy, don't forget to hand out points, read this:

http://www.vmware.com/community/help.jspa#awardrp

0 Kudos
doggy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone, sorry for the lack of points, I've awarded them now.

I've got another thread going over at

http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=596503

where I mention I'm now looking at using a Equallogic P50e. I'll not repeat myself, so have marked this answered and will move my never ending questions over there!

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos