VMware Cloud Community
vm123
Contributor
Contributor

HP 7.9.0 Insight Management Agents for ESX 3.0.x

Hi,

New version of HP Insight Management Agents for ESX 3.0.x is available in hp.com. It can be downloaded from the URL http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27853.html

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
90 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

The spawning zombie processes is a know issue with HP, this will be fixed in the 7.91 version. The release date was supposed to be 12/05/07.

0 Kudos
dmoroney
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, and excluding cmahostd in /opt/compaq/cma.conf makes the zombies go away. Not exactly the type of fix I had in mind.

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

Seems to me, every hardware vendor has more errors, issues, or missed quality-assurance type of things that impact customers, feels like more than ever. Not so invisible side effect of Global Sourcing? My vote? Yes. We have some real quality issues with our processes that have been global sourced. I am not against global sourcing, but I don't like the dishonest perception that it is just as good... or the same, in reference to core/critical coding, like agent monitoring? Not good. Not good at all.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HP still only has 7.9 agents etc. on their site.

I pulled this up today:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/1143_6213.html

Still says 7.9.

I'm glad I found this thread, it was very helpful to learn that the Insight Agents install also installs the SMH. Smiley Happy

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
tomaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone tested them (7.9.0) with 3.5?

0 Kudos
bls_fanatic
Contributor
Contributor

This solution works like a charm. I am sure glad I found that post! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

Yes, with ESX 3.5 RC1, and it appeared to work. However, given the mission critical nature of hardware alerting, it has been our experience that getting the official solution from the hardware vendor is significant. There are always hidden quirks that bite you in the rear end at the worst times. Do you want to explain to management that on a mission critical system such as ESX, you did not have 100% certified solution in place from the vendor? Meaning both VMware and HP have signed off on the agents.

0 Kudos
MarkE100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately no indication of when a fixed version will be released.

Would it be better to use the 7.8 version??

Is 7.8 compatible with 3.0.2 and 3.5??

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

And.... will HP 7.8.0 agents not have the same issue? And will HP 7.8.0 agents support your hardware. We have some very new hardware that had to have HP 7.9.0 per HP.

I just got done explaining to our HP TAM that the broken links on the website which do not let me redownload HP 7.8.0 is VERY FRUSTRATING given this issue. OH! And I told him as well... "will be fixed in a future update" is not acceptable, we need a hard date and commitment to resolution. As I see it, if they understand the problem, a fix should be relatively easy to do, test, and release, if they choose to prioritize this issue as high impact.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for talking to HP.

If other people could do this too, it might push a resolution quicker...even a 7.9.1 would help...I was going to install this so I could better monitor our one host, but but not till it's fixed etc.

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it really such a big deal? Even if you did nothing, then those spawning processes will get cleaned up automatically. It's not like your ESX will suddenly run out of memory.

At the moment I am installing 7.90 and I do what others have posted:

service hpasm stop

rpm -e hp-OpenIPMI..... and service hpasm start.

7.91 will not fix the issue HP said, so it's waiting till 8.0.0 which will probably have other issues...

Well HP is far from perfect but from what I hear IBM and Dell aren't doing any better Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Earlier in the thread it seemed people were saying the processes did not get cleaned up...

Does it take very long for the processes to clean up etc., does it noticeably affect the VMs' performance etc.??

Does this also work on 3.5??

We don't have 3.5 yet but it would be nice to know...

A lot of people have to be really careful what they do to their servers...

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
Jujo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello All-

This is my first post, so please don't slay me. I'm running 3.0.2 and the HP System Management page isn't working correctly. I've attempted to follow these steps below, but I can't complete step 2. The console tells me that package is not installed. Can someone tell me how I can get this package? Also how to find out what IPMI version or driver I'm currently running?

Thanks!

I applied Update1 and patches 1002424 & 1002425, and rebooted. This will get the ESX server to build 62488.

I installed hpmgmt-7.9.0-vmware3x

1. service hpasm stop

2. rpm -e hp-OpenIPMI-7.9.0-110.vmware30.i386

3. service hpasm start

0 Kudos
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Congratz with your first post and welcome to VMTN Smiley Happy

rpm -aq | grep -i hp

will give you a list of installed rpm's with the letters hp in it.

The hp-OpenIPMI should be listed there...otherwise your hp mgmt install didn't go well...

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

hp Open IPMI is only installed if you hardware is IPMI based. What error or message are you getting for SMH? Not sure what you mean. Do the agents show status in HP SIM? Do the SNMP queries respond?

Schor-

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

hp Open IPMI is only installed if you hardware is IPMI based. What error or message are you getting for SMH? Not sure what you mean. Do the agents show status in HP SIM? Do the SNMP queries respond?

Schor-

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

rpm -aq | grep -i hp

To check if we have IPMI anything installed would we use rpm -aq | grep -i ipmi??

And also rpm -aq | grep -i IPMI??

Thanks, Tom

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

rpm -qa | grep -i IPMI or rpm -qa | grep -i HP

should find hp-OpenIPMI

0 Kudos
Jujo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks to J-D! I didn't find any IPMI running and his suggestion that my install didn't go correctly got me thinking in another direction. So I removed 7.9.0 and reinstalled manually rather than using the answer file I initially setup. Viola! It worked. So I screwed up the answer file somehow. I will go through and figure that out later.

However, when run these commands - rpm -qa | grep -i IPMI or rpm -qa | grep -i HP

I still don't show any IPMI agents running. But the HP system management page is fully populated, where as before if was basically useless. That's what I needed.

Thanks everybody!

0 Kudos