VMware Cloud Community
vm123
Contributor
Contributor

HP 7.9.0 Insight Management Agents for ESX 3.0.x

Hi,

New version of HP Insight Management Agents for ESX 3.0.x is available in hp.com. It can be downloaded from the URL http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27853.html

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
90 Replies
GraphiteDak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can someone post their configuration files? I would like to automate the install of this during kickstart builds.

thanks!

0 Kudos
dmoroney
Contributor
Contributor

./installvm790.sh --silent --inputfile hpmgmt790.conf

#

1. hpmgmt790.conf

#

export CMASILENT="YES"

export CMANOSTARTINSTALL="hpasmd"

export CMALOCALHOSTRWCOMMSTR=your_community_string

export CMALOCALHOSTROCOMMSTR=your_community_string

export CMAMGMTSTATIONRWIPORDNS=management_station_ip_address

export CMAMGMTSTATIONRWCOMMSTR=your_community_string

export CMAMGMTSTATIONROIPORDNS=management_station_ip_address

export CMAMGMTSTATIONROCOMMSTR=your_community_string

export CMADEFTRAPCOMMSTR=your_community_string

export CMATRAPDESTINATIONCOMMSTR=your_community_string

export CMATRAPDESTINATIONIPORDNS=management_station_ip_address

export CMASYSCONTACT="system_contact"

export CMASYSLOCATION="location"

1. export CMAAGENTEXCLUDESTR - Agent exclusion on startup

2. ex. export CMAAGENTEXCLUDESTR="cmaeventd cmaperfd"

#export CMAAGENTEXCLUDESTR=

export ENABLEHPIMPORT=Y

export ENABLESNMPSERVICE=Y

export ENABLESIMCERTPORT=Y

0 Kudos
dmoroney
Contributor
Contributor

the 1. & 2. stuff are actually suppose to be '#'. Darned posting engine got in the way...

0 Kudos
GraphiteDak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks! What all are you monitoring at the present time?

0 Kudos
dmoroney
Contributor
Contributor

I'm letting the HP management agents run full on right now. I did exclude cmahostd later on since I didn't want to deal with the zombies. BTW, excluding cmahostd before the ESX server is 'managed' by HP SIM will cause the latter to think the former is a 'Linux server'. So register first, make sure you've got the info you need, then exclude cmahostd and restart hpasm.

0 Kudos
GraphiteDak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In looking at the config where are you excluding cmahostd? This is a first time install for me so I am not familiar with it at all. You can email me privately if you wish.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Exclusion is done this way:

1. export CMAAGENTEXCLUDESTR - Agent exclusion on startup

2. e.g. export CMAAGENTEXCLUDESTR="cmaeventd cmaperfd"

HTH Tom

P.S. Replace the 1. that you see with a hash mark or pound sign -- shift-3 -- on your keyboard, do the same for the 2. that you see. Forums' posting engine thinks hash/pound signs are numbers.

Message was edited by: tlyczko, to add the P.S.

0 Kudos
dmoroney
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that's the official way to do it. My experience is that HP SIM gets stupid and thinks the ESX server is only a Linux server instead of a 'Linux - VMware ESX Server' if cmahostd is excluded before the host is registered with HP SIM in my case. That can make a BIG difference in what management information is displayed. Of course, your mileage may vary.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello dmoroney,

Would you please clarify the agents installation, if you can??

My understanding is that installing the Insight Management Agents will install the SMH, someone told me that in another thread I started about server monitoring etc.

Where and how do we register the server??

Is registering the server only necessary if one is using HPSIM?? As opposed to only SMH, agents, and SNMP??

We're not using Insight Manager etc., we just want the SMH and the agents, we'll use the agents in conjunction with Zenoss for monitoring the server.

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
GraphiteDak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For the local community string do you normally use the hostname perhaps? I am thinking I can modify the conf file as much as possible then sed during the kickstart to fill out the community strings and though I'd use the hosthame for needed localstrings. I have not messed with SNMP for a LONG time and don't recall all the pertinent information. It'd be nice to see a fully configured conf file if possible?

Thanks for all your help gentlemen!

0 Kudos
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The grep -i means case insensitive so it doesn't matter if its IPMI or ipmi, it's a nice grep parameter to remember.

0 Kudos
dmoroney
Contributor
Contributor

I'm replying to multiple questions.

> For the local community string do you normally use the hostname perhaps?

The SNMP community string defines the relationship between an SNMP server system and the client systems. This string acts like a password to control the clients' access to the server.

> It'd be nice to see a fully configured conf file if possible?

This is the best I can do since disclosure of our configuration here isn't permitted.

export CMASILENT="YES"

export CMANOSTARTINSTALL="hpasmd"

export CMALOCALHOSTRWCOMMSTR=community_string

export CMALOCALHOSTROCOMMSTR=community_string

export CMAMGMTSTATIONRWIPORDNS=1.2.3.4

export CMAMGMTSTATIONRWCOMMSTR=community_string

export CMAMGMTSTATIONROIPORDNS=1.2.3.4

export CMAMGMTSTATIONROCOMMSTR=community_string

export CMADEFTRAPCOMMSTR=community_string

export CMATRAPDESTINATIONCOMMSTR=community_string

export CMATRAPDESTINATIONIPORDNS=1.2.3.4

export CMASYSCONTACT="contact_name"

export CMASYSLOCATION="system_location"

export CMAAGENTEXCLUDESTR - Agent exclusion on startup

ex. export CMAAGENTEXCLUDESTR="cmaeventd cmaperfd"

export CMAAGENTEXCLUDESTR=

export ENABLEHPIMPORT=Y

export ENABLESNMPSERVICE=Y

export ENABLESIMCERTPORT=Y

> Where and how do we register the server??

In my case, the server to be managed is registered with HP SIM. Your management app may be different.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

7.9.1 agents are out, according to HP the defunct process issue is resolved, haven't had a chance to test yet myself.

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

Interesting, I just got off the phone with HP. Our HP TAM just told me it would be sometime next week. LOL

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

7.9.1 is blessed for 3.5

7.9.0 is blessed for 3.0.2

http://www.vmware.com/support/esx25/doc/sys_mgmt_links.html

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Here is a direct link for 7.91 for ESX 3.x sent to me by my HP Rep

FYI...the Insight Agent 7.91 is available for download. The link provides information on fixes and enhancements but main issue resolved is this version fixed an issue where the cmahostd process was generating defunct processes frequently

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15...

0 Kudos
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FYI

I uninstalled my 7.9.0 agents, installed the 7.9.1 from the links of previous posters and now no more defunct processes on 3.0.2 Update1 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I hope someone here in this thread run into a similar problem. We are using RDP 3.70 to deploy ESX 3.02u1 and trying to deploy ESX 3.5 to our blade server (bl465). In short, everything seem to work fine but IM agent just don't want to install. Part of the RDP process is copy all of the IM agent *rpm, installsvm79#.sh, etc locally to the esx server under /opt/altiris/deployment/adlagent/tmp/lsp/ After the installation fail, i logan on locally to the server and try to run the installvm79#.sh manual and see what happen. And this is what I am keep getting

# ./installvm791.sh

: command not foundline 12:

: command not foundline 18:

: command not foundline 21:

: command not foundline 24:

: command not foundline 26:

: command not foundline 28:

'/installvm791.sh: line 98: syntax error near unexpected token `{

'/installvm791.sh: line 98: `setfailure() {

I try both v7.90 and v7.91 with the same error. I even redownload a new one from HP and extract it again to the RDP dir with the same resolve. Side note, i need edit or touch the .sh just to make sure it is not a corruption to the script file from notepad or wordpad.

So the next thing I did was to include the original .tgz in my deployment. After the installation file, i manually extract the tarball on the server and ran the same installvm79#.sh from the server (only difference is that this .sh file was zip up and extracted locally after the server is up versus pre-extracted and copy over from RDP)

/opt/altiris/deployment/adlagent/tmp/lsp/installvm791.sh -

> copy over from RDP during the RDP process didn't work

/opt/altiris/deployment/adlagent/tmp/lsp/hpmgmt/791/installvm791.sh -

> come from within the tgz, and it work

And without issue, this one work! What is going on ?

dwc

0 Kudos
dmoroney
Contributor
Contributor

You've got some junk in your configuration file. Try rebuilding it from hpmgmt.conf.example included with the package.

0 Kudos
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

where is the junk? within my hpmgmt.conf or the installvm791.conf got corrupted?

0 Kudos