VMware Cloud Community
vm123
Contributor
Contributor

HP 7.9.0 Insight Management Agents for ESX 3.0.x

Hi,

New version of HP Insight Management Agents for ESX 3.0.x is available in hp.com. It can be downloaded from the URL http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27853.html

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
90 Replies
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Note also that I don't think VMware has "blessed" these agents yet. Its been our experience that if you install agents before they give them the green light they won't support the configuration when you have problems that may be associated with them.

http://www.vmware.com/support/esx25/doc/sys_mgmt_links.html

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've installed these agents with no problems experienced yet - will post if I discover problems.....

0 Kudos
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's not the HP Agents that have given me problems it's the HP VMM Agent.

Curious to know what happens to this kind of functionality with V3i. I guess it isn't available.

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The reason I mentioned it is because we had a storage outage for all the hosts in one of our 2.5.3 farms that VMware attributed to the HP storage agents locking our LUN's. We were using HP agents that were a revision ahead of what they had blessed. I don't think they ever definitively identified the problem since it only happened once but they can and will place blame if given the chance.

0 Kudos
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Looks like VMware are now happy with the 7.9.0 agents:

0 Kudos
dcolpitts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'd like to load the HP System Management Homepage on my ESX 3.02 box, but when I check HP's support site (HP ProLiant ML370 G5 Server, VMware ESX Server 3.0 - ) they list two versions - a x86 and a AMD64/EM64T version. Which do I use?

dcc

0 Kudos
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Neither; the one that says "[HP Management Agents for VMware ESX Server 3.x|http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27853.html]"

0 Kudos
dcolpitts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not talking about the Management Agents - I'm talking about the managment home page. This is the webserver that provides a interface from a browser, generally via https over TCP 2381, to the management agents.

I guess the real question is ESX 3.02 based on x86 or EM64T?

dcc

0 Kudos
dcolpitts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nevermind - I answer my own question. The x86 management homepage is automatically installed with the 7.9.0 Agents.

dcc

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

I removed 7.7 agents and went to 7.9 now I'm having issues with cmahostd spawning zombie processes every 5 minutes.

root 401 1 0 13:49 pts/0 00:00:00 cmahostd -p 15 -s OK

root 707 401 0 13:49 pts/0 00:00:00

The sh <defunct> keeping growing, new one every 5 minutes. If I service hpasm restart they clear but start coming back. Anyone else seeing this?

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Good catch, I would open a ticket with VMware on it. Since VMware has "blessed" the agents, that supposedly means they've tested and approved them so I would assume they could channel the work through HP, but they may just point the finger. Let us know what you find, we're sticking with 7.8 for now.

R

0 Kudos
marvinthebassma
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

we have exactly the same issue !!!!

All ESX host DL385 G1 and G2 are running 3.0.2

We have updated the agents to 7.9.0 last week, and now we have those defunct processes on all systems.

Any news ? Did you already open a SR with VMware or HP ?

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Called VMware they said since the processess cleared after stopping the HP agents that it was a HP issue. Going to try to call them today. I'll post what I find out.

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Interesting, hopefully VMware will do a little more in the future than "wave their wand" to approve the agents from the hardware vendors.

0 Kudos
Jeff1
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here as well on BL685C G1 and DL585G1/G2.

Opened case with HP a little while ago. They are aware of this issue but so far no solution. Anyone get any valuable information from HP?

I will update as I get more information from HP.

0 Kudos
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert

I notice that the d/l page for the 7.9 version has been pulled:

but 7.8 is still available:

0 Kudos
marvinthebassma
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert

ok thanks, my stale link came from Google....

0 Kudos
garybrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's known and being worked - if/when I get further updates I will let you know

0 Kudos