VMware Cloud Community
sdmcnamara2841
Contributor
Contributor

HA configuration error after VirtualCenter upgrade to VC 2.5

After upgrading VirtualCenter from 2.0.2 to 2.5 and before upgrading my ESX 3.0.1 hosts to 3.5, my DRS/HA enabled cluster initially fails to configure HA with status "An error occured during configuration of the HA Agent on the host" in Tasks & Events for the cluster. Disabling and then re-enabling HA on the cluster successfully enables HA but the process must be must be repeated on the cluster anytime a host is rebooted because HA fails to configure when that host exits maintenance mode following a reboot. My lab environment is as follows:

VirtualCenter 2.5

2 ESX 3.0.1, 60875 hosts

Since disabling/re-enabling HA on the cluster resolves the issue and once the hosts are upgraded to ESX 3.5, this isn't a critical issue. In the production environment I'm testing this for however, we have 30 clusters and approximately 90 ESX 3.0.1 hosts to upgrade so I'd like to find a proactive solution to avoid issues in the timeframe between the VirtualCenter upgrade and the completion of the host upgrades.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

Since we have a similar issue, we asked VMware... "What can we do to improve the process of upgrading to VC 2.5?" The response from VMware.... Just open an SR when something happens, since every VC 2.5 upgrade is different, we really don't have any suggestions before hand when something is just not quite right." Yes, that was the ACTUAL quote.

0 Kudos