VMware Cloud Community
PatrickWE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guides for Installing ESX 3.0.1 on Dell Servers

Does anyone know of any documents on how to setup an ESX 3.0.1 on a Dell PowerEdge server.

I have installed ESX 3.0.1 several times and have the installation guide, but was looking for Dell particulars...

A search on Dell's site did'nt give me anything interesting... ( Sorry, not familiar with Dell, mostly an HP shop )...

Thanks \!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
11 Replies
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There are no real particulars that I know of between models. Instal on a HP should be exactly the same on a Dell.

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
bflynn0
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can take a look at the Dell VMware Support Documents[/url]. There's a ESX3.0.1 Deployment guide (pretty standard stuff IMO) and a Dell OpenManage install guide, among other things.

If you're running ESX and Dell best place to look for Dell specific stuff is http://www.dell.com/vmware

JBP0007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

You don't need particular for Dell PowerEdge.

I have the PowerEdge and EMC SAN and it is booting from SAN and it is running since last 6months without ay problem.

I never worked on Dell H/W and having wrong attitude with Dell but since last six months I am working in entire Dell environment and nothing goes wrong.

You just need to samething as like other H/W and as per my understanding Dell servers are more compatible then IBM and other.

Good Luck.

0 Kudos
fusionops
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am trying to install Vmware ESX 3.0 server on Poweredge SC 1425 from cd.

During installation following error emssage is prompted

"No hard drive have ben found you probably need to manually choose device driver for the installation toi succeed.Would you like to select drivers"

I choose yes

Then prompted with

"The following have been found"

Intel Ethernet express 0/1000 gigabit 1000"

I choose "Add device"

Then prompted with folloiwng msg

Please select the driver below

I selected aacraid_esx thinking driver to be RAID I am nots sure It may be IDE but there is no option for IDE in the drop downlist

after this installation resumes but after the software agreement screen

I get follwing msg

An error has occured.No VAlid Device were found onwhich to create new file system.please check your hardware for the casue of theis problem.

I have Fedora core 6 on this erver which I recently installed.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks and regards

0 Kudos
fusionops
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am trying to install Vmware ESX 3.0 server on Poweredge SC 1425 from cd.

During installation following error emssage is prompted

"No hard drive have ben found you probably need to manually choose device driver for the installation toi succeed.Would you like to select drivers"

I choose yes

Then prompted with

"The following have been found"

Intel Ethernet express 0/1000 gigabit 1000"

I choose "Add device"

Then prompted with folloiwng msg

Please select the driver below

I selected aacraid_esx thinking driver to be RAID I am nots sure It may be IDE but there is no option for IDE in the drop downlist

after this installation resumes but after the software agreement screen

I get follwing msg

An error has occured.No VAlid Device were found onwhich to create new file system.please check your hardware for the casue of theis problem.

I have Fedora core 6 on this erver which I recently installed.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks and regards

0 Kudos
bflynn0
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The PowerEdge SC1425 is not on the HCL. Take a look at the Systems Guide[/url] for compatible systems.

Also from the sound of it you are using the embedded controller on the SC1425 (which is a SATA controller) which is also not on the HCL (ESX requires SCSI). See the I/O Compatibility Guide[/url] for compatible Storage Controllers and NICs

0 Kudos
johnkaplantech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The "no valid devices were found on which to create new file system" happened to me too when I was installing fedora core 6.

The problem is in the VM configuration, not in supported hardware. When you first create your new virtual machine, select custom configuration, and when you get to the disk setup display, it has 2 radio buttons, one for SCSI disk and one for IDE. The SCSI disk radio button is selected by default. Select the IDE option instead. Then when you finish creating the VM and restart your fedora core install, you'll get past the "no valid devices" roadblock.

0 Kudos
Paul_B1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

By reading the post, it appears the problem isn't with creating a new machine, it's with getting ESX to install on a particular model. One that isn't on the HCL..

0 Kudos
oluvido
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there,

I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I have checked out a lot of info regarding installing esx server 3.0 on a desktop and I have a similar issue. I am trying to install this on a Dell Dimension E521 with AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 dual-core processor. I get the same problem of device and was not able to add drivers. I have bought the LSI MegaRAID SATA 150-4 Kit which allows the machine to detect the SATA disk being used as SCSI but I still get this problem.

My first question is do I need a separate esx server install files for the 64 bit machine and if not. what can I do to enable me install this server. I am aware of the HCL list and all the issues surrounding the SATA and IDE configuration.

Incidentally, I do have a Dell PowerEdge 750 Server which seems happy to take the ESX server but really want to get rid of this server as it is very very loud. even though it has 2 1GB NIC's and is the ideal candidate for the ESX Server. I'm not sure how it will perform if it ends up in a garage with me connecting to it using a wireless card.

The PowerEdge server is currently running Citrix and has a couple of VM running on VMware Server hence the reason why I want to consolidate them all into the ESX Server.

Finally, I guess my question here is: is it possible for me to use this new desktop I bought (Dell Dimension E521 64-bit) for the ESX white box or do I have to resort to killing the Dell server and use it for the ESX. Incidentally I would have bought another server but it's just the noise that made me buy a workstation thinking that it will be fine. if I had know I will get this problem, I would have dropped the 64-bit (purchased for Exchange 2007) and stuck to a PowerEdge server known to work.

Sorry for the long email.

Oluvido.

0 Kudos
johnkaplantech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes you're right. Sorry about that. I ran into a problem trying to get a VM running Fedora 6 on my laptop, and when I searched for the "no valid devices were found" error text, this thread was close enough to be a hit. I was hoping to be helpful to people who ran into the same problem and searched for the error text like I did (I put a similar posting over on a Linux forum). As you say, this isn't the same problem. I hope it didn't confuse anyone.

0 Kudos