VMware Cloud Community
seangar
Contributor
Contributor

Guest Memory question

If a Windows guest is assigned 512 GB memory when deployed, but then requires more memory to run an app (some point after install) will the ESX host (or VC) grant the guest more memory than it was allocated (512) ?

Is there documentation supporting this if true ?

TIA

S

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

If a Windows guest is assigned 512 GB memory when deployed, but then requires more memory to run an app (some point after install) will the ESX host (or VC) grant the guest more memory than it was allocated (512) ?

Nope. If you allocate 512 MEG that's all you will get. You can't go beyond configured size.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

check out this thread, it may be helpful

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/125126

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

Here's a great document on VMware memory allocation.

0 Kudos
seangar
Contributor
Contributor

Thats very intersting. I have had 2 different techs at VMware tell me differently. Is there somethign I am missing here ?

I am reading the other 2 articles/docs posted now...

TIA

S

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I have had 2 different techs at VMware tell me differently

They would be WRONG! You allocate the VM in the memory configuration right? You power on the VM. At that point ESX allocates 512 MEG RAM to that VM. Whether it uses it or not, ESX can share the memory with other VM's, but you CAN'T go BEYOND the limit configured for that VM. Maybe you were confused on your question, ESX can share memory among VM's, but a single VM cannot get more memory than it was allocated unless you power it off, and back on with a new memory limit. You can throttle the memory, but not go above the allocated size.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

just because it is a virtual machine does not mean it can automagically cunjour up extra memory, to increase the amount of memory a Guest machine needs you need to stop the guest and then edit the setting of the guest to increase the memory, just like you would turn of a physical machine and insert extra DIMMS.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
seangar
Contributor
Contributor

Your preaching to the choir Smiley Happy

Thats why I asked here. To me this didnt seem right. Perhaps the answers I got on the phone were reflective of reservation, not allocated.

S

0 Kudos