VMware Cloud Community
seangar
Contributor
Contributor

General System Error

I have a cluster that I am upgrading from 3.0.2 to 3.5. VC is running 2.5. Dell 1950's.

One cluster before this went fine, no problems. This cluster is giving me a headache. I upgraded in place like all the others I have done. However when I go to migrate a hot guest it gives me the error in the title Smiley Sad

Cold guests migrate fine. No issues.

TIA

S

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

Check the networking and make sure it is corrrect

Steve Beaver

VMware Communities User Moderator

VMware vExpert 2009

====

Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Come check out my blog: www.theVirtualBlackHole.com

Come follow me on twitter

*Virtualization is a journey, not a project.*

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
JasonBarnes
Contributor
Contributor

What builds are you using?

Also what does the Hostd log say during the vmotion?

-------------------------- Thanks, Jason Barnes VPS-Hosting www.vps-hosting.ca ESX Server Hosting :: Server Co-Location :: Support Services
0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert

So does this happen on ALL "guests" on the problematic node? I've had this happen to me and it ended up being a simple registration issue where the vm thought it was registered already on the other host etc.. you can run vmware-cmd -l to see what vm's are "registered"...

Also dig through your logs on the VC server and it will give you more info about the "genaric error".. its a tad painful to dig through them, but its not impossible.

-

www.virtualpimpin.com

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Can you try to do a VMKPING from server one to other, if yes then try to restart the mgmt-vmware services on both the servers.

This might help. This error is usually seen when the vmkernel network configurations are not proper.

-Karunakar

0 Kudos