VMware Cloud Community
ncentech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Forgot to create a VMFS partition during install.

Hi all, I just now realized that during the installation of VI 3.5 i made all of my partitions but instead of creating a VMFS with the remaing space I left it as free space and now I don't see a VMFS for the remaining of the local disk space. Do we really need it? and if so how can I create a vmfs partition with the remaining free space? Thanks for your help. regards,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Try to connect to the ESX machine from VI client, and then go to the configuration tab > Storage tab,

There on the top right corner you will have an option to add storage, continue to follow that wizard, this will create the VMFS storage there.

-Karunakar

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can also use these commands to manage your datastore.

Manage Datastores

List device file names associated with a server's LUNs

esxcfg-vmhbadevs

Map VMFS volumes to their LUNs and vmhba name

esxcfg-vmhbadevs -m

Create one or more partitions on a LUN

fdisk device_file_name

Display the partition table for the specified LUN

fdisk -l device_file_name

Create a VMFS volume

vmkfstools -C vmfs3 -S VMFS_volume_label partition_address (vmhba#.#.#.#)

Map label names with physical VMFS volumes

ls -l /vmfs/volumes

Change the VMFS volume label

ln -sf /vmfs/volumes/UUID /vmfs/volumes/new_label_name

Display VMFS volume metadata

vmkfstools -P -h /vmfs/volumes/volume_label

Extend a VMFS volume

vmkfstools -Z VMFS_extent name_of_existing_VMFS

Remove a VMFS volume extent

Recreate the VMFS volume

Display VMFS and service console filesystem usage

vdf -h

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

Karunakar,

That is only good for formating the entire LUN/Disk not allow you to create individual datastore.

You could use esxcfg-vmhbadevs -l and identify the disk it should be /dev/sd<x> where x is any thing starting from . sda, sdb and sdc

Then run fdisk /dev/sd<x>

select 'n' to create a new partition.Follow the screen to use the co-ordinates for the partition.

select '' to change the partition type. You need to know the new partition number so selecting 'p'before this will help.

select the partition # and then change the partition type to 'fb' which is a VMFS patrtition.

Finally vmkfstools -C vmfs3 -S VMFS_volume_label partition_address (vmhba#.#.#.#)

Let me know if you need any further help.

-Surya

0 Kudos