VMware Cloud Community
ANSA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Finding the PID number

Is there another way to find the PID number other than ps -ef | grep <vmname>. I have used ps -ef | grep <vmname> and it does not reture the PID

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jjohnston1127
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ANSA,

That was doing a grep of hscptonybids002, can you do grep vmware instead?

Also, do esxtop and see if your virtual machine is even listed in the running processes there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nope. That's the only way. VM Ware must have changed this because it was working sometime before 3.5, because we used it.. now it doesn't work any more.

0 Kudos
ANSA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am using a 3.0.2 host. I've used it before on a different host of the same version.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well I don't know what to tell you then. I know I used in the past, and it worked. Somewhere between patching and updating I lost track, but there is no other way to get the process ID of a VM running, unfortunately.

we have a VM that's hung, but luckily I use vmotion, put the host in maintenance mode, and then reboot the host. The process isn't hung after that, it's just a hassle to reboot the server, but this has only happened 1 other time.

0 Kudos
jjohnston1127
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can also run the command vm-support -x to get the CPU/World ID of the running Virtual Machine if you wanted to thumb through vmkernel and other logfiles to know which VM was logging events.

0 Kudos
ANSA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How does one corelate the WorldID to the PID, in VI3?

0 Kudos
jjohnston1127
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I'm sorry, I did not mean to mislead you. I was just letting you know how to get the world ID of the machine to look through logfiles in case you were having issues with a particular VM.

Are you sure that the PID is not showing up?

Can you take a screen shot of ps -aux | grep vmware and post it here?

0 Kudos
ANSA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Here is the screen shot, jjohnston1127

0 Kudos
jlanders
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Does it work if you add 'www' to the flags (i.e. ps -auxwww)?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
ANSA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

jlanders, the result is the same.

0 Kudos
jjohnston1127
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ANSA,

That was doing a grep of hscptonybids002, can you do grep vmware instead?

Also, do esxtop and see if your virtual machine is even listed in the running processes there.

0 Kudos
ANSA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

jjohnston1127, it was displayed with grep vmware Thanks much.

0 Kudos