VMware Cloud Community
jn2007
Contributor
Contributor

FastSCP Issue?

I have transfered a 500GB from VI3 to a backup usb hard drive with no problem. Although the speed was pretty slow (1.5mb/s) in the beginning and speed up to 10mb/s closing to the end.

what happen now is I have a file that always stops and hangs at 20%, the speed is respectable at 25-30mb/s. So i had to manually cancelling the transfer and the transfered part is deleted (no resume function it appears). Now I'm transfering the 500GB from the usb hard drive to VI3 at 1.3mb/s. This is the second try, the first transfer stopped and hung at 80GB.

Anybody has any such issues with FastSCP or is there something I miss?

Thanks,

Jack

0 Kudos
11 Replies
acr
Champion
Champion

Not an ansewr, but i find veeam better than WinSCP.. it is supposed to be faster..

http://www.veeam.com/

0 Kudos
jn2007
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed FastSCP can be faster than WinSCP, and the reason I was using FastSCP. However FastSCP doesn't have resume feature. In my case when it hung on 80GB, I wasted all those time.

Anything I misconfigured??

0 Kudos
jn2007
Contributor
Contributor

I'm thinking if my hard drive has any problem and how do I go about checking that? I'm using RAID 5, the successful (first) transfer was in RAID 0. There might be a difference in writing speed (RAID 5 is supposed to be slower than RAID 0), but it shouldn't hang.

0 Kudos
DFATAnt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've seen this before. It turned out the SAN I was connected to was under the recommended level of firmware. When we finally got an outage and updated the firmware, everything seemed to transfer without a problem.

We were using a ESX 3.0 connecting to a HDS Thunder SAN at the time.

Ant

0 Kudos
jn2007
Contributor
Contributor

It does sound like a possibility. I'm using a hardware RAID controller and didn't have any problem on the first transfer. Also, I'm transfering it with WinSCP and it's working fine so far, but very slow (1.5-2mb/s)

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I haven't used these products personally, but with the exception of your local copy to the USB drive, aren't these products pushing data over the IP network? If so, ensure that the NICs on source and target are at their desired speed/duplex (i.e. 100/half is a major problem).

0 Kudos
jn2007
Contributor
Contributor

I have it for auto, and it's at 1gb, full. would it be better to be mannually set?

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

nope you're good to go. IEEE standard calls for auto on Gb.

0 Kudos
DeeJay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can't help, however I do seem the same issue; I get 40MB/sec from SAN to SAN using FastSCP up until about 1GB of a transfer, then the transfer stalls.

WinSCP is much slower, but much more consistent.

0 Kudos
jn2007
Contributor
Contributor

Did the stall happen consistently? My transfer stalled at the exact bits every time. Now I'm using WinSCP and it's almost 50% finished. It's slowly, but surely.

0 Kudos
hullt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One Issue, I came back from a break and when I started the program the "Copy to/from"buttons are not there?? Did something change on 2.0?? I can pull up all my host and copy between them, but I have a file on my desktop that I can not get to?? Am I missing something here??

0 Kudos