VMware Cloud Community
chandlarp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FYI - Observations since 3.02 Upgrade

A couple of questions for others that have upgraded to 3.02.

I have a post install configuration script that sets a bunch of stuff in ESX and then installs the HP Insight 7.70 and Emulex HBA utilities in the Service Console.

I did the upgrade about a week ago after monitoring these forums for issues. Made sure I disabled HA before the upgrade and the ping latency problem is not an issue for my implementation.

All 6 ESX servers seem to be running fine but there are a couple of things I 've noticed and wondered if its just my implementation or if others have encountered them.

1) Since my install was 3.01 net new. I disabled the VMFS2 drivers in the /etc/init.d/vmware file by commenting out the appropriate statement. I know this worked with 3.01 as it's part of the post install checks we do . But now having run the upgrade I find vmfs2 loaded again. I check the file and had to comment it out again and unload VMFS2 via the vmkload_mod -u via the servie console.

2) My install script also changed the Log rotation default parameters for vmkernel, vmkwarning, vmksummary. Again after the upgrade the install defaults appear to be back.

3) The install script is built with enough smarts to allow it to be run repeatedly. So I thought I'd run it on my R&D ESX 3.02 Server and check things out. We have HP 7.70 agents installed and running in ESX 3.02 and did not want to upgrade to 7.8 just yet. When the 7.70 install portion of the script ran it coughed up a furball saying that the installer did not support this version of ESX. Not really a big surprise but what this means is that in a rebuild scenario I have to Install 3.01, run my post install script to install HP 7.70. Do the Upgrade to 3.02 then run my script again to fix items 1 & 2 above.

Not that any of these are show stoppers but I thought I would see if anyone else has encountered them .

By the way thanks to all the contributors for the great info.

CP

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In a nutshell, yes. I think the upgrade was really a reinstall, but one that preserved all the guests and their settings.

adam

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In a nutshell, yes. I think the upgrade was really a reinstall, but one that preserved all the guests and their settings.

adam

0 Kudos
chandlarp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK .. fair enough .... But am I the only one that is running HP Insight agents 770 with 3.02 ?

CP

0 Kudos