VMware Cloud Community
brownr0127
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Experience with moving VMs

I want to ask the opinion of other users in the forum this question. I have an ESX host (3.5, 163429). I am going to build a new ESX host and patch it to the same level. Are there any pitfalls to moving the current VMs to the new ESX host? The hardware will be very different as it is a newer server than my current ESX host. I do not plan on using vMotion to move these VMs. Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mehul96
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Virtual HW exposed to the VMs is the same except for the cpu, VMs are not aware of the real chipset, memory controllers, scsi and so on. Cold migration from intel to amd does not require to change anything inside the virtual machine. However, the physical CPU *IS* visible to VMs. So if you are running VMs which load a specific kernel for Intel CPUs or AMD CPUs (like Linux), you may have an issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
COdlk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You should not have any problems. Is there shared storage? There are a number of ways to move the VMs depending on your infrastructure.

david

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Many ways to do this, the EASIEST method is probably winscp or veeam FAST SCP. You can do a direct ESX to ESX transfer. No pitfalls, only that you need to keep the same family. Intel to Intel or AMD to AMD, that's pretty much it.

ESX insulates you from the hardware, so VM's have no idea really they are on 'new' hardware.

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as others have stated there are quite a few options you have, another one would be VMware vCenter Converter

0 Kudos
mehul96
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrating VMs across hosts is very simple and generally there are no issues.

Since you are not planning on using vmotion, you don't need to worry about compatible CPUs.

There are however things to consider

- Does the new ESX have access to same network?

- If using SAN, are identical LUNs visible to new ESX?

Mehul

PS: if you find responses on this forum helpful, please consider awarding points to keep the spirit of the forums alive!

brownr0127
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There in lies the problem. The current ESX host is Intel and the new one will be AMD. I have been told by VMWare support that this isn't impossible, but don't be surprised if I have problems. My method will be to right-click on the VM in the VIM and select 'migrate'. Do you think I'll still have issues?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you cannot do a live vmotion if you are going from Intel to AMD. The guest would have to be cold migrated (assuming you have vCenter) or use VMware Converter.

0 Kudos
mehul96
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Virtual HW exposed to the VMs is the same except for the cpu, VMs are not aware of the real chipset, memory controllers, scsi and so on. Cold migration from intel to amd does not require to change anything inside the virtual machine. However, the physical CPU *IS* visible to VMs. So if you are running VMs which load a specific kernel for Intel CPUs or AMD CPUs (like Linux), you may have an issue.

0 Kudos
brownr0127
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cold migration is the plan. I have all weekend to do it and the VMs are only 12 GB.

0 Kudos
brownr0127
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

These are running Windows XP. Hopefully, the migration process will address the physical CPU issue.

0 Kudos