VMware Cloud Community
Zoommm
Contributor
Contributor

Error starting HA

Hi,

I have two ESX 3.02 Hosts and VC 2.0.2, and When I tried to set the HA, I have a error like this:

- HA agent on lhresx02...... in cluster ...... has an error.

- Error detected on lhresx02.... in <xxxxx>: multipleshostnames: Multiple short host names configured for host: blade2esx and lhresx02.

- Unable to contact a primary HA agent in cluster <xpto_Cluster> in <xxxxx>.

The issue is when installing ESXs for the first time, the ESXs name was like "blade1esx" and "blade2esx". But now I change it to "lhresx01" and "lhresx02" and they are registered on DNS only with the last names given.

The "/etc/hosts" and "/etc/sysconfig/network" files are ok. I dont understand where the VC will get the old names...!! I did a dnsflush also......

Any clues about this problem?

Thanks

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Can you ping between the hosts? Double check your TCP/IP settings and also want to put static entries for /etc/hosts file on all ESX host and than try again.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Also try a vmkping

0 Kudos
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

look in the /etc/opt/vmware/aam file for host names and IP's

0 Kudos
Zoommm
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I can ping between hosts! I also tried to put the static entries in the hosts file on both ESX.

I can ping also by the name and FQDN inside ESX and outside them...

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

If you run hostname what does it come back with? Have the hosts been rebooted since the name was changed? You could run service vmware-mgmt restart to update the name change it may be being held in proc somewhere.

you can also run

hostname myhost.mydomain.com

It sounds like it has multiple short names. Are you sure the the 127.0.0.1 and your ip address have the same short name in you etc/hosts file?

Message was edited by: Chamon

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Can you disconnect and reconnect your host to the cluster? Does it work with FQDN or IP at all? Remove HA and reconfigure HA again to see if it works. Lastly, try to remove VPX agent using rpm -e vpxagentbuild (to remove it) and upload the latest VPX agent from your Virtual Center server installation folder once removed/installed try to add your host again and reconfigure your HA.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
Zoommm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi....

I have restart the vpxa (service vmware-vpxa restart) in each ESX and enabled the HA and it work fine.

Thans for your help guys.

Zoommm

0 Kudos