VMware Cloud Community
fatbobsufc
Contributor
Contributor

Error connecting to guest console via VI Client after vmotion

Hi, I have recently added a second ESX server to our farm. After migrating some VMs to the second ESX server, I get the above error when trying to view the console from the VI client, even though the machines are up and running.

Server A - 3.0.2 52542

Server B - 3.0.2 61618

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

see this KB, it may help

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/749640

fatbobsufc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I've proven that traffic can get from A to B on port 902/903 with a port scanner.

0 Kudos
demz
Expert
Expert

And if you connect to the ESX via the VI client directly, not on the VC, can you launch a console on the VM ?

fatbobsufc
Contributor
Contributor

Very good question.

i have just tried connecting VI to the ESX host directly (not using VC), and I still get the same error. Therefore I imagine it cannot be due to a port connection issue.

0 Kudos
demz
Expert
Expert

Did you tried to restart the xinetd service on the ESX host ?

Is there any entry in the logs of the authentification error ?

0 Kudos
demz
Expert
Expert

no need to restart all the services via xinetd, vmware-vmkauthd is sufficient.

What the output of tail /var/log/secure ?

0 Kudos
fatbobsufc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, thanks for your help. This turned out to be due to an incorrect IP address entry in the /etc/hosts file (I had previously tries unsuccessfully to change the Service Console port from an address with low priority through our cloud to one with a higher priority - the hosts file still held the old address).

I later successfully changed the Service Console address and realised that the IP address in the error was the old address. Changing the hosts file fixed the issue.

0 Kudos