VMware Cloud Community
klaus1013
Contributor
Contributor

Error Importing an Image

Great to see such an active community, unfortunately my extensive searching hasn't provided an answer for my exact problem. I'm a relative newbie to ESX, so please forgive my ignorance...

I've made an image of a Windows Small Business Server and I'm having trouble getting it to load in ESX. I have had the help of someone who knows ESX much better than I do, but so far we haven't been able to get the imported server to launch. So far we have:

• Created an image of the server using Converter Basic

• Copied the files to a folder under VMFS

• Used the vmkfstools -i command to convert the image

• Created a new virtual server in ESX to use the converted image

Unfortunately when I try to turn on the new sever I get the following error message:

"One or more of the disks used by this virtual machine was createdby an unsupported version of VMware ESX Server. To power on or upgrade the virtual machine, either remove the unsupported disk(s) or use a version of VMware ESX Server that supports this version of disks. Below is a list of the disks and their reported versions.

Version 6

/vmfs/volumes/................./sirona1/Sirona1-new.vmdk"

A lot of searching has turned up a couple of things, but nothing has changed. The last thing I've found is that it might be down to the fact the image comes from a server using IDE disks. I'm currently looking at a KB article that tells you how change a disk from IDE to SCSI.

Many thanks in advance for any pointers.

Klaus

0 Kudos
0 Replies