VMware Cloud Community
isterios
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Easy way to move a vmdk from a Lun to another Lun?

Hello,

Is there an easy or fast way to move a disk attached on a VM from a lun to another lun?

In summary, we have vmdk on a lun X. We would like to move these vmdk to the lun Y.

How to operate this the easier way?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

make sure your vm is powered off - to move datastores is an option only when you cold migrate - with it powered on you will be doing a hot migration which is vmotion and does not let you switch datastores

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Eddy
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

There are several ways..You can do it within the VC gui using Migrate, it will ask you about relocating the storage

You can do it from the console prompt using the "cp" command, I dont like using the "mv" command

WinSCP is another tool you can use..

All the above are OFFLINE copies if they will work in your environment...

Go Virtual!

Go Virtual!
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...also, if you are running 3.5/2.5 you can use sVMotion

0 Kudos
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

user s-vmotion. (storage-v-motion) easy and repliable.

• If you found this information useful, please kindly consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

If you found this information useful, please kindly consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
isterios
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VIC is 2.01 and our ESX are 3.0.1.

So we cannot use svmotion?

I will recheck the migrate option.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Eddy
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

svmotion is on 3.5/2.5

Go Virtual!

Go Virtual!
0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Correct you can not use sVmotion. If the VM is powered off, you can go through the steps like you're going to migrate it to a different host, it'll ask you if you want to relocate the VM files, say yes and then it will list the available LUNs you can move it to.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is correct - sVMotion is a feature of ESX 3.5/VC 2.5

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
isterios
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all.

I thought I already tried a migrate and that it didn't ask for a migration of the disks.

But I will check it again.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Eddy,

WinSCP may not be a good tool for moving vmdk's It is known for causing framentation issues on vmfs volumes.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yeah, its one of the questions asking you if you want to keep your VM in the same place or move to a different storage.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

make sure your vm is powered off - to move datastores is an option only when you cold migrate - with it powered on you will be doing a hot migration which is vmotion and does not let you switch datastores

0 Kudos
Eddy
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I usually zip up my vmdk if Im using WinSCP... forgot to mention that Smiley Wink

Go Virtual!

Go Virtual!
0 Kudos