VMware Cloud Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

ESX3.5 to 3.5 update 1 and VC2.5 to 2.5 update 1

We recently upgraded ESX3.0.2 and VC2.0.2 to 3.5 and 2.5. Now, we see there is an update1 for both ESX3.5 and LVC2.5. What is the best way to upgrade to Update1....Tar....Zip or just plain ISO onto a CD? Any issues experienced by anyone yet?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The VC install is through the ISO/cd, and there have been mixed reviews of the update. Missing buttons/icons after the install for the consolidation, and an occassional problem with update manager client. Make sure you have a backup before you update, just in case.

For 3.5 to 3.5U1, I used update manager, it includes a bundle for 3.5U1. Otherwise, you could use the cd and boot, but I found Update Manager an easier option.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the advice. I hadn't considered Update Manager....sounds like a a great option. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You should read more details about the bugs or issues people having and worth the time to do your upgrades. If you want to use new features built in with ESX 3.5 Update 1 & VC 2.5 Update 1 than make sure to test it on your sandbox first before deploying live. When upgrading your VC 2.5 Update 1 people has issues having difficulties with rolling back, so backup your database and configurations info as well. Best method is to P2V your VC server to VM and than do your upgrades if it messed up, revert it from V2P if needed or even run VC on a VM is not a bad option.

Problem people still having is that Update Manager after reboot the esx host, the maintenance mode still idle for a long time and you might have to manually exit maintenance mode or restart VC server services but its minor. You can upgrade with bootable CD or .zip file is fine. I would run the .zip is much faster extract and click and go.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

good thought. We have a test lab. I'll perform the update there first.

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

I have never run the ZIP file to perform the updates before. Actually, only updated once....from 3.0.2 to 3.5 and that was via CD. Would like to try it from ZIP. Just to be sure ....since I'm a windows guy....I'm cautious about executing files directly from the CLI of the ESX server. Since this is an EXE , does the Linux kernet recognize EXE for execution and is it launched merely with a command (i.e. (filename.exe)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
snapper_
Contributor
Contributor

I performed the obvious actions: complete reinstall of VC2.5.0 update 1, reinstalled converter plugin, repair, but did not solve my missing Consolidation button problem.

I opened my VI client on my notebook to the virtual center server, then followed the process of installing the

VMWare Converter Enterprise plugin, and enabled it. but sadly also it did not work.

The "VMware Converter Enterprise Service" is running on my notebook, and after rebooting notebook still no

button?

When I open the VI client on VC server, and connect to localhost, it takes more then 4 minutes before opening.

but when the converter plugin is not installed it goes quick less then 30 seconds. Strange?

Did any body got clear fix to this missing consolidation button/tab issue?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Consolidation button is apparently disabled by default.

Navigate to c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\

and removed the following lines from the vpxd.cfg file and rebooted the server.

<vcp2v>

<dontStartConsolidation>true</dontStartConsolidation>

</vcp2v>

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos