Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX server crashed

Yesterday one of the host in a cluster crashed. All the VM's running under them did not fail over to another host despite the fact HA was enabled. The ESX server did have either pink/purple screen before I power cycle the box but I was unable to read the entire msg because the screen was really fuzzy since I wasn't in front of the physical server, but was remote in through Mgmt console. The Server came back online fine after a manual reboot, but those VM's which were running under them were in shut down mode. I restarted those VM's and everything was fine.

The only thing was being done when the ESX server crashed was Storage Scanning and it was still in progress mode in vCenter before it crashed. I have reviewed the logs with VMware Support and we were unable to find the root cause of the crashed, so I thought to ask you guys if you have seen this kinda problem in the past, such as why the HA did not fail over?, and why ESX server crashed during Storage Scanning?. This happened to me the first time, but it would be nice to figure out what caused the problem to make sure it does not happen again.

ESX 3.5, update 5. vCenter,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
EVW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There might be errors in /var/log/vmkwarning that can give you an idea what went wrong. These messages will be deleted after a few days.

0 Kudos