Contributor
Contributor

ESX iscsi openfiler

Hi !

Im tying to set up Shared storage at home for

vmotion and vpc training. Openfilers is configuerd and seems to be

right the problem is that i cant get any iscsci targets to show up on

my esx in vc.

after reading articels here on the boards my conclousion is that maybe there is a network problem

my

networkconfig looks like this first of i have a home router that

everything is connected to the default gateway is 192.168.0.1, i use

the same default gateway in my ESX ,VC and Openfiler

all configurations in ESX for iscsi is done

ESX-04.localdomain

Serviceconsole Vswif0 192.168.0.100

VMkernelport 192.168.0.16

openfiler 192.168.0.60

VC 192.168.0.60

one

problem is that i cant set default gateway for the vmkernel only for

service console but i guess default gateway means only one or ? When i

try to do that i get "The domain name is not in the right format "

Questions

Can

this setup be used with only one nic for serviceconsole and vmkernel?

if not i have more nics avaible if only someone could direct me in the

right way Smiley Happy

i can sen more information if anybody want also screenshots , damm you could log in yourself its only for test purposes

Regards

Christer Sundqvist

0 Kudos
9 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I'm running Openfiler for iSCSI for my ESX lab and it runs great and I've seen people have them running in productions/dev environment hosting 120-140 VMs easily with 2 x 80GB SATA (Openfiler OS) and 8 x 750GB for iSCSI storage, so using Openfiler is a great choice among FreeNAS, Starwinds and Linux IET.

Anyways, you can use the guide written for this at www.xtravirt.com shows you how to do it steps by steps easily and should be able to have it going. Your networking looks fine and double check your dns, domains and settings. You can use multiple port groups for single vNICs or single port group team to multiple pNICs. I'm running everything on 192.168.10.x network so yours should be fine. For production you should place SC/VMotion/iSCSI on its own network for security purposes.

You can read more about networking details on www.vmware.com->resources bunch of good guides.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
chrille
Contributor
Contributor

Hi !

i´ve been using the extravirt whitepaper as refrense, i don have any dns server all is host file based and no doamin controller all servers are named esx-xx.localdomain.

but according to xtravirt paper they put in default gateway for both serviceconsole and vmkernel on vswif0 maybe that my problem because i cant do that without getting a red popup stating

"the domain name is not in the right format " view attached jpg

But thnx for reply i will check vmware resuorces

/Christer

0 Kudos
chrille
Contributor
Contributor

Edit !

if i create a new serviceconsole or a vmkernel from vc and try to enter default gateway i get same domain errror !

/C

0 Kudos
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert

Check the spelling/syntax of the domain for your esx host entry in VC. The error indicates this as the problem, so even if it looks right, i would edit it and re-enter the name.

Also to confirm what you see in the GUI is correct, you can SSH into your host and check the /etc/network and /etc/sysconfig/network files for ip/gateway info and hostnames info.

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

It looks like you have the openfiler running on your VC. Can the same NIC be utilized for both ip traffic and as an iscsi target? Do you need a second NIC on your VC to utilize as your iscsi target.

0 Kudos
chrille
Contributor
Contributor

i have an old ibm 345 server that i installed esx on today with a Quad nic , and i tested to put iscis vm kernel on a diffrent nic only to get the same problem

/C

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Does the openfiler iscsi target have its own nic. The host should be ok but the target I would think would need to be a dedicated NIC for the iscsi target. I have not set up isci but this could be the issue. So on the openfiler one NIC for normal IP traffic and one for the iscsi traffic

0 Kudos
chrille
Contributor
Contributor

-

0 Kudos
chrille
Contributor
Contributor

Hi !

One last try before Mr sandman arrives

if i check in vc i see iSCSI enabled but if i go to the esx host and run the command vmkiscsi-tool -T -l vmhaba32

it says No Targets Configuerd ????

and i get the same on both my esx servers, one esx is pyschical ibm 345 with quad nic, two nics are used, one for sc and one for vmkernel.

the other esx is running under vmware fusion on my imac with one nic shared for sc and kernel

Openfiler done by the book Xtravirt paper , firewall opened in esx . storage adapter configured on esx , hostnames correct, i can ping openfiler ,vc esx from all sources

Example from esx-01 iscsi name. iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:esx-01-0d7c35b6

Example from esx-04 iscsi name. iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:esx-04-27e9743b

Openfiler: LUNs mapped to target:iqn2006-01.com.openfiler:tsn.2f6d55cfab2f

/Christer

0 Kudos