VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX hostname change??

I named my esx host (starter edition) as esx1.domainname instead of just esx1.

I can reach it by IP address but not by name, can I easily rename it or should I just re-install ESX??

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
smkelly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, you must put your ESX hosts in DNS. This is especially the case if you're using HA. VMware HA assumes a working DNS setup.

The only real good way you're going to get ESX added to DNS in a non-manual way is to have your DHCP server perform dynamic DHCP updates. However, I wouldn't really recommend configuring ESX to pull an IP via DHCP.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How can I change a ESX3 server name?

• From the console type “esxcfg-advcfg -s /Misc/HostName”. Then restart server.

tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Should I also re-install the VI client on my XP box??

I was sure there was a straightforward command line like this but I have \*just* \*today* started my ESX adventure!!!

Thank you, Tom (aka Grasshopper for now)

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No need to do that. I ran across that command a while back but have never used it.

You can also do...

esxcfg-advcfg -g /Misc/HostName

to get the host name value. This can also be set in the VI Client under Configuration, DNS and Routing. No need to re-install the VI Client.

tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I looked in the client under DNS etc., I can't remove the domain information without an error, I shall try the CLI and see what happens.

Thanks, Tom

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I got it now...

esxcfg-advcfg -s /Misc/HostName

It took several tries because I don't know yet how to make Linux do like F3 in a Windows command window.

Rebooting now, thanks a lot...

Tom

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, everyone...VMware forum is the best!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I guess I can reply to my own question.

I did the above-mentioned command but it still seems the name includes the domainname.

Probably because I specified a domain in the setup, and maybe the domain name specification is optional.

I did not see anywhere that the domain name is required or not...I'll go back and read some more and perhaps re-install and see what happens.

Thanks, Tom

0 Kudos
smkelly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't quite understand. Why do you want it to not have the domain name?

All of our ESX servers contain our domain name in them. In fact, all of our servers have hteir domain name in their FQDNs as well.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

did you enter the esx into DNS? cause it doesn't update any records itself.

0 Kudos
smkelly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, you must put your ESX hosts in DNS. This is especially the case if you're using HA. VMware HA assumes a working DNS setup.

The only real good way you're going to get ESX added to DNS in a non-manual way is to have your DHCP server perform dynamic DHCP updates. However, I wouldn't really recommend configuring ESX to pull an IP via DHCP.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone, DNS was the missing element for me...I have since added my esx1 server to DNS in the domain plus the local domain name, things should be okay now.

I did not come across anything anywhere in my reading etc. that mentioned that one must manually enter ESX hosts into DNS, now that I know this I hope I don't forget again!!

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos