VMware Cloud Community
doors2019
Contributor
Contributor

ESX and HP MSA1000

Hi,

I am confused about how to properly configure MSA1000 with ESX 3.x. I did a search on Google and found good threads in this community but it left me confused. HP Best Practices guide says to use latest firmaware but minimum of 4.48 and "Active/Passive set to MRU" . When I try to find the 4.48 firwmare on HP web site all I can find is version 7.xx which, as far as I can figure out, only supports Active/Active. Then there is the quesion of configuring two HBA paths via staic through how? This is just frustrating. I am shocked that there is no clear document from either VMware or HP.

Which firware should I be using? Latest is 7xx.

Is Actice/Active ok? Where and how do I confiure this?

Do still need to configure the 2 HBA paths manually? If so, can I do that from Window Server rather then minicom software from ESX? Can't I just follow (there are several diiections out there and not sure which to follow but I can test both) the manual path confis via HypterTerminal\Putty access to Swithc via serial cable?

Thanks.

Paresh

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

This is a complex question, but lets say you want redundent pathing, so 2 controllers, 2 switches, each ESX host has two HBA ports, this is a common model. The dual-controllers gives you the cross-over effect you want to have redundent pathing to all LUNs as defined on the ESX host. HP MSA 1000, 1500, etc. can do active/active, but VMware does not support this consistently, or at least when we setup our default configuration initially. So 4.48 is preferred by us, stable and known animal, have tested 5.20 but found some quirks.

Zoning, must setup zoning per switch, this is the switch per MSA controller, think of them as a matched set, the Controller interfaces to the Switch, but they are separate devices. Must set the profile of the interface on each switch per HP guidelines. Must setup SSP in ACU per HP guidelines, per HBA port. HP has a rather good PDF on MSA1000, 1500, etc. setup for VMware. I can dig it up, but a search on the HP website should find it without issue

You really want to watch the total Disk IO loading on MSA, especially the 1000. We have flooded MSA1000s with only 4 ESX hosts, and you will see some signfiicant differences between RAID 1 versus RAID 5 sets.

MSA1000 has 4 key areas that must be configured, ACU GUI (DASD setup and SSP), brocade switches via CLI and via GUI for Zoning (make sure to enable the switch configuration once created), and MSA Controllers via CLI to setup IP (then use GUI via web/http). The HP instructions are a bit confusing between MSA Controller CLI and Switch CLI, and you will need serial connectivity to setup the switch and controller IP addresses, but once you have IP addresses assigned to the MSA controllers and switches about 90% is web or web/java GUI based.

One last point, that VMware and HP are not clear on, if you plan to use VCB you MUST setup explicit zoning on the switches. If you only setup SSP, and use the default zoning VCB will NOT work right, spent 6 hours on the phone with VMware only to be told the default zoning is not handled by VMware VCB code right. This has not, per my initial review, been fixed with VCB 1.1, but sense we do not use VCB any more, I have not revisited this issue recently.

Now, for the ugly issue... You must have at least 1 Windows based HP server connected to the MSA at all times to monitor the MSA correctly. We actually use a Windows based server for each 2 or 4 MSA1000/1500s (connected via fiber HBA port, we use older DL380s with HBAs), if you do NOT do this, you will miss critical hardware alerts. HP does not explain this well. Even if you have HP servers runing ESX OS, you STILL do not get complete fabric monitoring or alerts without the Windows server connected via fiber to MSA. Never mind the fact, that that the GUI based ACU and ADU tools are ONLY Windows based and only communicate via fiber link to MSA. You don't want to hear the ugly things I said to VMware and HP but this issue not being explained effectively on the respective HCLs... I said things in German, not English... I only do that when I am really really not happy with vendors. LOL

BUGCHK
Commander
Commander

> once you have IP addresses assigned to the MSA controllers

The MSA1000 controller module used in the MSA1000 and MSA1500cs products does not provide LAN connectivity.

0 Kudos
doors2019
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying to my post. I guess the only way I will find out how this will work is to test it thorughly which means I have t0 move live data out of MSA before I start. I will have to call HP to get 4.48. Hope they will release it.

What's funny is that when I took VMware class couple of months ago they used MSA1000 in the lab. You would think VMware would put out detail step-by-step guide. And whats more funny is HP actively sells VMwar. Isn't this in both of their interest? This is much more frustraing then I had anticipated. They made it look so easy in the class. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

HP has a good PDF on MSA1000 setup, I just don't have it at hand. I will try to find it when I can. It has the basics for VMware setup.

You should be able to download 4.48 from the web-site.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=443350&p...

It is in the update ISO, I think 7.6 was the one, or 7.4. 4.48 was the previous release to 5.20 of course.

0 Kudos
doors2019
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the link. I have downloaded lot of PDFs by Googling and that is what makes it confusing. One document says this and on says that. I just have to sort it out and go from their.

Paresh

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

Email me directly if you want, I will try to find the specific PDF tonight.

0 Kudos
jjamieson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"once you have IP addresses assigned to the MSA controllers and switches about 90% is web or web/java GUI based."

The MSA1000 does not have a web server or web configuration. You can configure it with the ACU which uses SCSI commands, or you can use the CLI.

You don't need to use the ACU at all to fully configure the MSA1000. The CLI is easy to use and you can configure the entire unit with it over the serial cable. This is a good thing, because when you're connecting all ESX servers and no Windows box, you don't have access to the ACU. It would be crappy to have to purchase, power, and manage a windows box with an HBA just to configure the MSA-1000.

Unfortunately, there's no obvious way to actually monitor the unit without the ACU - so if a disk dies, you won't know it unless you look at the MSA.

We've just deployed the first MSA2000 to a customer site and it's a lot nicer 😃 It's also a hell of a lot faster. The MSA2000 is pretty cheap for what you get, and they have an iSCSI and SAS option now too.

0 Kudos