VMware Cloud Community
Pcparamedix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX & VC upgrade

I'm about to ugdate my ESX servers from 3.0.0 to 3.0.2. My VC server is version 2.0.1. Should upgrade this VC server to VC 2.5 or can I leave it as is. Also if I have to upgrade to VC 2.5 which should I upgrade first the ESX farm or the VC server.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Rule of thumb is to always upgrade your Virtual Center first. In this case you'll want to go to VC 2.5 update 1. Once you have that upgraded, you'll then want to move to upgrade your ESX Host, remember to bring it to the latest patch set. There are can be issues when you upgrade your ESX Hosts first and specifically even after updating your VC before proceeding to your ESX Host upgrade you can still see some very odd things if you don't patch it to a certain expected revision. Always read the release notes prior to your upgrades

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Rule of thumb is to always upgrade your Virtual Center first. In this case you'll want to go to VC 2.5 update 1. Once you have that upgraded, you'll then want to move to upgrade your ESX Host, remember to bring it to the latest patch set. There are can be issues when you upgrade your ESX Hosts first and specifically even after updating your VC before proceeding to your ESX Host upgrade you can still see some very odd things if you don't patch it to a certain expected revision. Always read the release notes prior to your upgrades

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I suggest:

Update first your ESX hosts to version 3.0.2

After that update VirtualCenter to 2.5

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. You need to update your Virtual Center managment first before upgrading your ESX Hosts. This is the same for VC 2.0.2 / 2.5

0 Kudos