VMware Cloud Community
HUNGAMA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX Server and ENC Cleriion Configuration

Hi Guys

I am installing multiple ESX servers for new DRS cluster. I have to connect them to a EMC Cleriion SAN. Everything is working fine. I have a doubt about the host registration on SAN. When we register the host on SAN what are the multipath settings we use for ESX servers? The default is 1 on EMC Cleriion.

Regards

Shail

0 Kudos
3 Replies
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It depends on whether you have an active/active SAN or an active/passive SAN. What model clarrion do you have? The best failover policy for activ/passive SAN is MRU. The best failover policy for active/active SAN is fixed.

How many paths you have also depends on how many HBA's you have and whether they are all connected the the SAN or not. Only one path can be active in the storage configuration of an ESX server at a time. The other paths can be standby or passive.

Or does your question pertain to the SAN configuration and LUN presentation using Navisphere or some other software?

0 Kudos
HUNGAMA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Taits

yes my question pertains to the SAN configuration. On Vmware side I have configured correctly. I just want to clear my confusion on SAN side. We are using EMC Cleriion CX3-40c array. By default when you register a host it asks for the failover mode. EMC has 4 numbers for that. 1 is the default setting. We use different numbers for different multipathing software. 1 is good for powerpath which is a EMC software. Should we use 1 for ESX?

Regards

Shail

0 Kudos
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as I know - PowerPath isn't available for ESX. And of the four policies - Failover Mode 0 - combined with "Auto-tresspass - disabled" should be used for a host with no powerpath. I'd recommend confirming with your storage provider or EMC direct.