VMware Cloud Community
ofajardo
Contributor
Contributor

ESX SERVER 3.5 EVALUATION

Hi, I've downloaded ISO for ESX 3.5, but after burn it in a CD, it seems as not bootable. I am not able to install it in my PowerEdge 6650.

I've downloaded the following ISO image. Have I to previously install anything else? Am I doing anything wrong? Anyone knows if the ISO image has any problem or where can I fond a valid ISO image to evaluate the product?

ESX Server 3.5 CD image

Version 3.5.0

64607 - 02/20/08

565 MB ISO image Boot your server with this CD in order to install ESX Server 3.5md5sum: c96f03cf2e9fbb57b29a048ee7bfcaa5(¹)

What is the image for ESX 3i for? Have I to install that before ESX Server?

Best regards

0 Kudos
14 Replies
fontyyy
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, that's the disc, I'd download it and burn it again.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

How are yo uburning the CD? You have to use Nero or Alchol to burn an ISO image, not burn the ISO onto the disk. That ISO IS the image, and if you burn it to a disk it will create a bunch of files on the CD.

Also they include a checksum, and when you run the md5 it will verify the image as complete. I know the 6850 is bootable, so the problem must be either the method used to create the CD or the the software, and the ISO image isn't burned correctly.

So what are the steps exactly you use to burn the ISO?

0 Kudos
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just check the disk after you have burned it... if it just is a data disk with the .iso file located ON the disk, then you didn't burn it right.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

In Roxio, you right click on the menu and select create disk image.

By default Roxio choses another format - can't remember which one but you can click on the menu for finding the file and chose ISO.

HTH

0 Kudos
ofajardo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks a lot for your answers, I've burned the CD with roxio, I've created a disk image, aslo I've checked the md5 checksum and everything seems to be fine. Then I don't know what else to do. Also I've have used ISO RECORDER, but the problem still happens...

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

Try this , do not burn to DVD, burn to CD-RW or CD-R, Reason for CD-RW is, if it screwed up, you can use the same CD again.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Its basic but can you double check if you set your BIOS to boot from CD ROM? Also can you try to put Windows CD in it and boot up to see if the drive is good! Make sure burn your .iso file with Nero or Roxio like mentioned above and double check the contents make sure its not just .iso file only which means you've burned to data disc.

"Reading Is Fundamental" There is no limit to education

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
ofajardo
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I've checked and the server is booting from CD, thanks

0 Kudos
abimalech
Contributor
Contributor

Did you do an md5 check to make sure the md5 checksum matches? It's possible your iso image was corrupted during the download.

0 Kudos
fontyyy
Contributor
Contributor

Well, the CD download does work, if it didn't VMWare would have a lot of very angry people on their back as we'd have paid tens of thouands of pounds/dollars/euros for nothing, when you by VI3 you just get an email with a keycode to get your licence, you don't get CD's, boxes, manuals etc. Well you don't if you buy it with educational discount through Dell anyway.

So the problem is either;

a; your download is corrupt

a; your CD burning setup

b; your server

So is the file 579,239,936 bytes? (that's sopmewhat easier than the checksum to check) Is the chesksum on the ISO correct? Does the server boot other CD's? Does the CD boot in other machines?

The answer to all four of those questions is not yes and it should be.

0 Kudos
ofajardo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks a lot for your answer. Well, I've done and checked everything, but I still have the problem. This is not the first time I burn a cd or a iso image, so I really don't know whart is happening. I've tried to download the file at home and a friend of mine did it too, but all have the same problem.

Answering your questions:

1. the file is the same size you are telling me

2. the checksum says everything is ok

I've tried to boot from a windows cd and everything worked well

Thanks anyway

0 Kudos
farahib
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. I downloaded 3.5 Evalcuation with the help of Sales folks. I burned the ISO using ROXIO to cd. Boot Cd and it does not work. I try to view the CD within windows and I can't see anything it just hags windows. Not sure if its bad image or what.

In troubleshooting I created Red Hat in Vmware Workstation and then booted with this ISO image and it seems to laod. It's weird. My plan is to install it on HP Server but I can't get it to work. Unfortunately I cannot try downloaded the image again as the sales folds only allowed me one download.

If anyone can assist me I would appreciate it. Thank you in advace.

Bob

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

for burning iso files I am using the freeware tools "CDBurnerXP".

Everything works fine with it.

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
farahib
Contributor
Contributor

I got it to work!

I kinda feel stupid now because I should have caught it it sooner. Basically my problem was that I was using RW CD rather than R CD to burn media. I guess if you use RW and not close the session with ISOs that causes error messages and doesn't burn right.

Thank you to everyone that responded.

Bob

0 Kudos