VMware Cloud Community
mikelane
Expert
Expert

ESX: Problem connecting to iSCSI storage

I am having problems getting ESX to detect my iSCSI storage (using software iSCSI).

I have set enabled the software iSCSI initiator and then set CHAP and Dynamic Discovery (closing the window each time before changing another setting). When I Rescan my iSCSI target does not come up.

vmnic1 has VMKernal and a service console and vmnic0 has a service console and VM Network.

I also enabled Software iSCSI and NFS in Security.

My iSCSI target is Openfiler which is set up with 2 bonded NICs and software RAID 5 iSCSI storage.

This is set up on a 192.168.10.x network segment with internet access (192.168.0.x).

Have i missed something in my setup - i have got this working in VMWare Workstation before and had issues getting this working but now on physical hardware it just isn't working yet.

I have rebooted ESX many times and openfiler has been rebooted a couple of times too ...

0 Kudos
22 Replies
CurrentHill
Contributor
Contributor

Good thing you finally figured it out!

Since I'm building pretty much the same environment as you are, I would really appreciate if you could post some numbers of the performance you get in this configuration.

Regards,

Stefan

0 Kudos
mikelane
Expert
Expert

I have posted on the openfiler forum to see what i can do to improve performance.

0 Kudos
VAUSA
Contributor
Contributor

This is what i have:

• VMware Workstation 6.0 runs on D620 (3GB of Ram, 2GB CPU)

• Vmware Workstation host 3 vm-machines (2 ESX hosts and 1 openfiler 2.2)

• Both ESX have 4 NICs, NIC 0,2 (TEAM)for Sevices console and ISCSI and the NICs 1 and 3 (team) for VM-machines

• On ESX host (service console port assigned ip address: 192.168.1.11, ISCSI port ip: 192.168.1.21)

• On ESX host (service console port assigned ip address: 192.168.1.12, ISCSI port ip: 192.168.1.22)

• Openfiler ip address 192.168.1.10

• No CHAP passwrd confg

• iSCSI host access configuration ip address: 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.1.11 (esx1) 192.168.1.12 (exs2)

Still cannot discover the target, what went wrong! please help!

0 Kudos